FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant find anywhere a shift kit/ short throw shifter for a 1st gen 5sp. Does such a thing exist, or will i have to fabricate one mysel? Thanks for any help you have!

·
Registered
874 Posts
First off there is a diff (at least in my mind) between a shift kit and a short shifter. Shift kits are for auto trannies and modify the flow of fluid through the valve body to make them shift harder, where as a short shifter is just that, a short throw shifter. What year gen 1 do you have? B&M makes a short shifter that suposedly fits 89 and up scorts. Every where I read it says 89 and up, but I would have thought the Gen 2´s would have a different mounting for the shifer since they are re skinned Mazda´s anyway. Worth looking into if you are really interested though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. I guess i thought shift kits and short throw shifters were interchangeable terms, but i am probably wrong. My egt is an 88, and im suprised the add read 89 and up, because i was under the assumption that all 5sp trannys were the same from 86 to 90. i still appreciate the help!

·
Registered
874 Posts
The first gen actually went through a few minor changes in 88.5, I think the tranny was one of them. I know the bumpers changed, because I bought a bumper from a guy with an 87, and there is no way to mount it on my car without major modifications.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts