FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a universal shift boot replacement on Ebay for $9 plus shipping. Pictures look good, but product quality isn't the best. It's nothing more than 4 pieces of pleather sewn together on somebody's home economics sewing machine. I was probably wrong for figuring I could get something good for only $9, but am disappointed at what I received. Dunno, maybe it'll look ok when I get done but for now, kinda annoyed. It's 4 triangular pieces of pleather, in blue, sewn together with open ends. The ends aren't sewn so they'll have to be touched up. I'll probably built a backing plate to hold them in.

Right now if I put a little red ball on top of it, it'll look like a kid's party hat.

Check it out.........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33703&item=2432099899

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
It'll look fine, that's all that a shift boot is anyway.. a couple pieces of pleather sewn together. You can make your own pretty damn easily if you know how to thread the needle in your mom's (or dad's) sewing machine.

The open ends thing is nothing.. the bottom you won't see because it'll be below the console, and the top you just fold in on itself before placing it over the lever. It always amazes me that people are willing to pay $50 for a shift boot.. as if it's designed by Gucci :roll:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree with you Beaverboy, as always (you're a smart guy and make a lot sense every time).

Anyway what I agree with is that a shifter boot is a very basic thing. I'm the idiot that went out and payed over $130 canadian for a leather momo one because it "screws right" into the momo knob. But it all looks like the same rubbish. Its hides the garbage sitting under there.

So Zeemax, you're a smart guy for going out and getting a basic one that gets the job done. I'm the fool. Beaverboy is right -- he's got a straight head screwed on. :wink:

I'm mean just take the time to fit the thing right and you won't know the difference. And if you do see a slight diff from the gucci one, don't even care about it because the guy who bought the gucci one just got suckered in and is probably in debt.

·
Registered
148 Posts
No Beaverboy I didn't take it like that. I mean even today, I wouldn't know how to fit one of the other boots to the knobs easily. I don't have the technical expertise to fit things on very well. That's why I went with that option; cause its the only way I know how.

First time I tried to put a boot on. I did a lot of damage the plastic holder under the boot.

Don't worry beaverboy. :wink:

·
Registered
319 Posts
I recently got a shift boot off of http://www.jujeracing.com/zx2.htm for $25 shipped. black and blue including the ebrake boot as well... i was disappointed as well.. along with my ractive shift knob.. i've tried a lot of different things to keep the fuckers on right, but the shift boot is too short with the ractive shift knob, so it bugs.. biut i'll figure out the perfect fit soemday..LoL

Laci

ps this pic was with the OEM shift knob and it fit fine with that... but not with the ractive

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.