FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was replacing the water pump/timing belt/etc. on my Honda when one of the bolts on the water pump snapped off :mad: It will have to be drilled out. My problem is the close quarters in which I am working. There is only 4" between the bolt and the inside of the fender. Too narrow for a drill, too narrow for my drill with a 90 degree elbow.

Is there a technique to get this out? Is there a tool I am not aware of? I've got a couple ideas, one I don't think will work and the other I'd rather not even think about...

Any suggestions? Hints? Ideas?

Thanks,

Nic in B'ham

(I know I'm talking about a Honda in a Ford forum. It's not the car I'm asking about, it's the technique. Thanks!)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Depends on how much of the bolt is still sticking out.

Vise Grips would probably be a good solution depending on how much grip and leverage you can get with them. I would spray some kind of WD40 or liquid wrench on it first to try and free it up a bit first though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vise grips aren't going to work. It is broken off below the surface of the block. Definitely a drill situation.

I just spoke to my mechanic and he said what I feared - pull the engine. I might be able to free the front of it and tilt it up or down to get the drill above or below the fender. grrrrrr Either way, I'm looking at basically pulling 99% of the motor.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Of course I needed this car running 2 weeks ago, etc. etc.

Thanks, guys.

Nic in B'ham

·
Registered
15,567 Posts
Nplsdvr said:
can I get away with 3 out of 4 water pump bolts? will 3 bolts keep the pump from leaking?
I suspect that this is a terrible idea!

I need pics. When you say fender area, I assume that you are referring to the inner fender? If so just drill a hole in it and remove the outer (regular fender) and drill throughth e hole. Removing and reinstalling a fender is way easier than removing an engine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
zzyzzx - you da' man!

I didn't like the "3-ouf-of-4-bolts" idea, I just didn't want to pull the motor.

Thank you so much for the "drill thru the fender" suggestion!! I wish I had asked the question 2 weeks ago!! ThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYou!!!!

You don't need pics - you are imagining exactly the right situation. Only I don't have to mess with the outer fender - it is all wheel well/inner fender I'm dealing with.

Just imagine, if I put a little thought into it, I could drill a hole the same size as a rubber grommet and "patch" it when I'm done. WooHoo!

Thanks again Zzyzzx! I am naming my next child after you!!

Nic in B'ham

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.