FEOA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I let my wife borrow my car (98 Tracer) for a 1,200 mile trip as her's is burning oil so.. I got it back and have noticed that it now vibrates at speeds over 40mph? I had the oil and filter done, air in the types..etc all that before she took it. It was driven on the interstate for her trip.

I've had in the past the Motor Mounts replaced, tires are good, bakes are good, no shaking while braking plenty of pad left and no contact with the wheel, steering is straight when i take my hands off the wheel no pulling and no odd smells or knocking.

The car will vibrate on and off for a few seconds even a minute or two then stop while driving at over 40. At around 50+ and at 60 the engine sounds louder than normal I mean a lot louder than it used to? The shaking and vibrations do increase but not by a lot at higher speeds. It's never done this before.

I'm assuming at the very least it's time to rotate the tires.. what else could I check?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Check brake rotor condition, tire balance, rotating them its a good idea. Event if it still aligned test the tie rod ends for loosened nuts, ball joint and control arm bushings, THIS IS A CHECKUP that i do on all the cars I work on.

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
try swapping tires front to back. the tires can look "good" but still be "bad".

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! tries being swapped are the first thing.. funny you mention the ball joints they are being replaced shortly. The one on the driver side isn't in great shape, rubber is coming away.. etc and I suspect it's the cause of the squeaky sound I hear when turning. The only time it's not squeaking is when it's wet outside.

I think the last owner of this car (i bought it in 07) might have hit a curb or did something to damage the driver side wheel as the wheel and tire where different. Brakes had been done but it had lost some bolts and the issue with the ball joint on that side. All issues other than the ball joint have been taken care of. Am hoping there isn't any damage to the struts/shocks. Grr.. wish I had of known before I bought it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts