FEOA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with my serpentine belt jumping off during the rain. I have narrowed it down to either the grooved idler pulley which has some play approx (1/8" rock) or the belt tensioner in which others think is the problem. Does anyone know how to remove the grooved idler pulley. It seems very close to the frame and I would like to know before I get started wether or not this involves dropping the engine, similar to the smooth idler pulley.

·
Registered
493 Posts
it's not normal to have play on any pulley, change or repair that pulley, also change the belt.

you can find some technical info on autozone, how to change the serpentin belt and any pulley, even the crank pulley (the one with teeth).

even with rain the belt have to keep in position, maybe with the water it slip and make that particulary noise but with any miss alligment even dry in can move out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Derrick said:
I am having problems with my serpentine belt jumping off during the rain. I have narrowed it down to either the grooved idler pulley which has some play approx (1/8" rock) or the belt tensioner in which others think is the problem. Does anyone know how to remove the grooved idler pulley. It seems very close to the frame and I would like to know before I get started wether or not this involves dropping the engine, similar to the smooth idler pulley.
:salute: :salute:

Hello and good day:

I would strongly suggest you go to you local Autozone, or Advance Auto, and Get yourself a Haynes Manual for your car. In there is will guide you through the correct proceeder.

I would also lean to the Tensioner These has a tendency to go bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Haynes manual does not tell you how to replace or diagnose the belt nor does autozone's site. I have replaced the ribbed pulley and sprayed water onto the belt and have not had any problems thus far. We will see for sure the next time it rains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts