FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after crusing down the highway i can basically put my foot to the floor befor the breaks engage. BAD when tailing a truck. After a little pumping i get break pressure back. none of this happens in city driving. Any ideas? bad break booster? i need hints befor friday cause friday i make a 3 and a 1/2 hr highway trip and breaks would be useful.

·
Registered
283 Posts
check your tires if u see any signs of leaks.
try to bleed it , how old is your fluid, what kind of fluid u using? dot 3 or 2 ....n i recomend u not to drive it...its better that a car dont move, rather than having a car that dont stop

·
BYO Plastic cutlery
9,869 Posts
They're called BRAKES! Breaks are what you get at work. sorry everyone is doing it. I think if you had alot of air in the lines it might not ever build up like you say it does after pumping, but I could be wrong, so I'm a bit past my expertise here. Poor boost would just make braking harder, not increase pedal travel.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
1) bleed your brakes, all 4 corners, according to the haynes/chiltons/shop manual directions. if you dont have one, buy one. you should completely flush and replace your brake fluid every couple of years. I generally go through about 3 full changes a year, just from bleeding boiled fluid at track days.

2) while you're there, check to make sure your pads/shoes are not worn all the way down, and that you've got no leaky lines.

3) if after step 1 and 2 are finished, you still have crappy brakes, check your master cylinder. Once that's fixed, if you've still got problems, check your vacuum booster.

If you've still got problems after that, get another car. :)

--sarge

1 - 11 of 11 Posts