FEOA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m unfortunately selling my 1998 Mercury Tracer GS. This is not an advert for sale just trying to get some selling tips before making it available to the public. Why am I selling.. easy, I've got a really good deal on a brand spankin new car! lol

The Good:
It’s a GS (Basic) auto transmission, power steering, manual locks and doors it’s been in no accidents. As it is this car is in great shape, timing belt done at 82k, new battery about two months ago, oil changed regularly, 95,600 on the clock, paint shines very well almost like new, I’m confirmed 2nd owner, have carfax, new factory speakers in the rear, CD/MP3/WMA with USB, SD Slot and Aux in (not a fancy brand or anything).

The Bad:
There is a small scuff mark on the front right bumper, wrinkle on the paint back left nothing big major or noticeable.. it has the stupid rough idle issue that I can’t fix :( ! Shop that did all the work on this car, timing belt, oil..etc is shut down!! I’ve no stupid paper trail to prove I had anything done but.. I do have a number for the mechanic and he’ll confirm the work if asked. In fact I’ll take it to him for a once over before selling.

Question:
What am I missing? Am I missing anything? I’ve not sold a car before but the Florida DMV has plenty of information and forms to fill out when selling my car tons of guides online. I’m asking $2,400 obo can’t afford to trade it in they’d only give about $800 - $1,000 for it which is rape. It’s at the very minimum worth around $2,000 if not alone then at least for having the timing belt done already and having a half decent stereo put in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok something just hit me.. If I buy a new car and transfer the tag from the old car how am I to drive the old car back home! lol.. I’m assuming I can just get a temporary tag from the dealer on my new car then sell my old car and transfer the tag? I’m in Florida and never did this before so just making sure I’m covering myself! I got the bill of sale ready and I understand once paid I’d sign over the title, submit bill of sale to tax collector informing them I no longer own the vehicle. New owner takes car from where it’s sold directly to the DMV to get a temporary tag or can I get a temporary tag for them so they can at least drive it to the DMV/Tax Collector’s office with something or should they go in a secondary car after they buy it and sort out the temporary tag/tag themselves?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,068 Posts
aidan80 said:
Ok something just hit me.. If I buy a new car and transfer the tag from the old car how am I to drive the old car back home! lol.. I'm assuming I can just get a temporary tag from the dealer on my new car then sell my old car and transfer the tag? I'm in Florida and never did this before so just making sure I'm covering myself! I got the bill of sale ready and I understand once paid I'd sign over the title, submit bill of sale to tax collector informing them I no longer own the vehicle. New owner takes car from where it's sold directly to the DMV to get a temporary tag or can I get a temporary tag for them so they can at least drive it to the DMV/Tax Collector's office with something or should they go in a secondary car after they buy it and sort out the temporary tag/tag themselves?
i drove my first escort from salsbury to derry with no plates... just gotta be lucky
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PEEWEE91 said:
aidan80 said:
Ok something just hit me.. If I buy a new car and transfer the tag from the old car how am I to drive the old car back home! lol.. I'm assuming I can just get a temporary tag from the dealer on my new car then sell my old car and transfer the tag? I'm in Florida and never did this before so just making sure I'm covering myself! I got the bill of sale ready and I understand once paid I'd sign over the title, submit bill of sale to tax collector informing them I no longer own the vehicle. New owner takes car from where it's sold directly to the DMV to get a temporary tag or can I get a temporary tag for them so they can at least drive it to the DMV/Tax Collector's office with something or should they go in a secondary car after they buy it and sort out the temporary tag/tag themselves?
i drove my first escort from salsbury to derry with no plates... just gotta be lucky
I'd do it but I can't take the chance I live about 2 minutes from the city police department. I'd be lucky if I got to the end of the street plus I'd put by job at risk if.. when I got caught.

Once I've secured funding for the new car I'll put the Tracer up for sale then once sold head off to the dealer and pickup my new car. I might end up with a rental for a day or so but small cost in order to make it all work lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,556 Posts
You might want to leave the tag and insurance on the Tracer until you sell it. Any prospective buyers will probably want to test drive it prior to buying it. I would just buy a new tag for the new car then turn in the one from the Tracer when I sold it. It probably won't cost much more than transferring the old tag onto the new car anyway. I think in NC a new tag is $28. and transferring an old tag is somewhere between $10-$20 so you're not really gaining anything if your old tag is alread a few months old. You could also use the Tracer for a daily driver if you wanted to until it sold. That would put it out in public where more people could see it. Driving it with a for sale sign with a telephone number might get you few extra inquiries. What kind of NEW car are you getting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FordMan59 said:
You might want to leave the tag and insurance on the Tracer until you sell it. Any prospective buyers will probably want to test drive it prior to buying it. I would just buy a new tag for the new car then turn in the one from the Tracer when I sold it. It probably won't cost much more than transferring the old tag onto the new car anyway. I think in NC a new tag is $28. and transferring an old tag is somewhere between $10-$20 so you're not really gaining anything if your old tag is alread a few months old. You could also use the Tracer for a daily driver if you wanted to until it sold. That would put it out in public where more people could see it. Driving it with a for sale sign with a telephone number might get you few extra inquiries. What kind of NEW car are you getting?
They must have put the prices up here just a bit on tags.. I'm being quoted $200 for a new tag or to transfer by the dealer? They claim there is no possible way I can do it myself they have to do it because it's a new vehicle? I still need to double check that one before I put any ink to paper. I'm almost always checking and double checking everything the dealers says to me. It's like dealing with a sharks!

I may just hang on to the tracer until it sells then buy the new car. At worst I may have a day or two where I'm stuck in a rental. At the minute I'm looking at a Nissan Versa I've got two dealers taking the price everything all in minus the tag at $13,822. I even managed to get it in print from them so they cant wriggle their way outta it! I'd still prefer a used Versa but they want like $12,000 used a year old and with around 35k - 40k on the clock no way that's too much, same model only with the power option!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The $200 they are quoting is for a new plate even though I'd told all of them I did not need a new plate! I've been reading the DMV website and I've found I can in fact get a temp plate for the tracer should I buy the car before selling the tracer. I'm hoping to sell the tracer before buying the other car so I'll have the money from the tracer as part of my down payment! More I pay up front the less I pay in interest overall and per month.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top