FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever removed theirs?

I don't want to know what you think will happen, how you think it will run, what it "should" do, I want to know if anyone on this board has actually removed them and how they liked/disliked it. I am seriously contemplating removing them this weekend.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SPI to the C: it doesn't pull on the top end like i want it to
SPI to the C: so i'mma yank 'em out and if it drives alright port the FUCK out of whole intake mani

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
you can't compare the bp to the rx7 rotary, sure the rx7 will pull on the top end better, it's a top end motor, but the bp still has the low to mid range torque curve that you'll be sacrificing.

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Rig it so they are always open and drive it like that for a bit to see how it performs. I know people removed the butterflies on the 2.0 SPIs and it ran like crap and wouldn't idle right until they were put back in.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
It's the common delusion of the home mechanic to think that they can better the design of a seasoned engineer.

Leave them in.

If you absolutely MUST have the adjustability, it is very possible to install manual controls for it. The whole point of VICS is active flow control. Speaking from experience, I was part of a navy-funded active air flow control project last summer, and I understand the physics behind VICS well enough to know that taking them out is detrimental to the power output of the engine.

On a slightly more realistic note, I have seen them kick in at different rpms. My 91GT (god rest) used to kick in at 4200 whereas my new 95GT kicks in at around 5 grand. I dunno why there was the descrepancy to be honest.

The only real application where taking them out would be a good idea is under forced induction, but even then, the whole VICS system works on vacuum, so if you're boostin, it's already open anyways.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As of right now, I don't think they're kicking in. I'mma take 'em out this weekend and see how it works out.

p.s. shut up siragan, you're dumb.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts