FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well another big question

how hard is it to get to everything to fix my retractable seatbelts??
anyone want to give me a basic walk through i need to get my car done by tomorrow night so i can finish my inspection!

thnx in advance

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
you want to replace them or fix them? whats wrong?

I wish I had a 4pt harness.. the stock belts are too restrictive

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i had my boss order me 2 motors/seatbelts and everything...

right now the seatbelt on the a-pillar is stuck, it won´t move, as i see it is probably most likely the motor...so, i was basically wondering if was hard to get to everything to fix this, as far as i can tell the motor is somewhere under the dash......and since i don´t have a shop manual, i was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on how hard, and what i should do to try and fix this problem?

i´m pretty sure i just need to remove the bottom 1/2 of the dash, remove the wiring and than remove the motor, and what not??????????

any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
302 Posts
The good news is you don´t have to tear your dash apart! The bad news is you really can´t *fix* these seatbelts very easily; however you can replace them VERY easily. All you have to do is make sure the replacement belt is completly assembled (track, motor, ect...) I can tell you how to do it since I´ve done it myself to my car. (I got the whole track and motor from a junkyard though) The motor is actually located on the b-piller behind the drivers seat (or passenger seat which ever your replacing) You need to remove the panel next to the rear seat under the window. I think you need to remove the trunk panel first though to get to the screws. Once you have those done, you have to remove the bottom portion of the rear seat. This is usually pretty easy, just push in on the two white tabs under the seat cushion and lift up on the seat. It may be stubborn; but you should be able to get it. There is then a little yellow screw thingy under the seat (if yours hasn´t rusted out like mine did) unsrew that next. Now you need to remove the plastic runner that is next to your seat (you know that thing you use to get all the snow and mud off your shoes so you don´t get your precious carpets dirty) Its held it with a few screws. Be sure you don´t round these out as they can get pretty rusty, use wd-40 to help you out. Once thats off, you can almost remove the rear panel (I said almost) You now have to take off the upper panel that covers the seat belt track from the windshield to behind the seat. This baby just pops right off. Do be carefull though so you don´t crack or break it. Now you can see the belt track. You can also take out that rear panel now as there is nothing left to hold it in. Once you do, you can see the seat belt motor at the bottom of the b-piller. I wouldn´t recommend trying to replace just the motor or just the cable, because there are wound together inside the motor and it nearly impossible (and very messy) to figure it out once you get it apart. So instead remove all the bolts you can see holding the motor and track in place. Don´t forget to unplug the motor from the car; and be sure you don´t rip or tear you roofs upholstry (I learned that after I tore the junkyard car all up, but it saved me from making the same mistake with my car) Once you have those out the whole track/motor assembly should just come right out so you can replace it with a new one. Installation is the reverse of all of that. It sounds like alot but those panels and stuff come out real easily and it shouldn´t take you only 30 minutes to and hour to do the whole thing. Sorry for the small novel, but I hope I helped. Any more questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SCORE!!!

now i don´t have to be weary when driving around in my scort....i´m not inspected...well, i´m inspected, didn´t pass, didn´t fail...just gotta fix everything and bring her back....

thanx a bunch...

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%>[TR][TD]Quote:

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]
07-03-2003 at 09:17, Streetwize wrote:
There are no inspections in Michigan of any kind. Its kind of sad if you could see some of the cars on the road.

Troy
[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]
No inspections here in Indiana either....I saw an older late 80s Taurus once with truck arrow blinkers on the back (seriously, and the ones on the car even worked, explain that one to me... :-? ), no rear passenger side door window (covered with plastic), rust with a door handle for rear doors, and basically half the rear bumper was gone.
He did have power windows though. haha :-o

1 - 8 of 8 Posts