FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting kind of tired of the drone of the straight through magnaflow, so I am looking at getting a turbo style or some other sort of quieter muffler. Just looking for suggestions for what styles and brands to look at. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
what kind of exhaust do you have??? is it header and cat back? if so buy a glass pack, (cherry bomb), one of those long red tubes...I had purchased a pacesetter cat back and it was just too damn loud...so i put a glasspack in to act as a resonator to cancel out some of the noise...I have a flowmaster muffler on backorder cause i absolutley hate those chrome fart cannons...i ordered it from summit its a 50 series delta flow muffler...im curious as to how it will sound, i paid $100 for it plus shipping, but i wont see it til about the 16th...so we'll see....cant be worse the the pacesetter muffler im sure....

anomalous

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I have some sortof turbo 2.25" muffler on my sis's festiva. I was really big. Probably about 24" long and about 11" wide. But the ride is extremely quiet. All you can hear is the wind streaming across the body of the car and the wheels rolling on the pavement :)

Go big and you can't go wrong. Of course, it shouldn't also be straight-through.

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now I am running a pacesetter header, full 2.25" pipe, magnaflow 2.25" high flow cat, 2.25" flex pipe, and 2.25" magnaflow street series straight-through muffler. I didn't even think about putting a glasspack/resonator on there, I will have to look and see how much room I have for something like that. I don't really like the sound of flowmasters on a 4 cyl so I am staying away from them.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
yea, i dunno how im gonna like it either...im hopeing the glasspack will help out...i just dont want that farty high pitched sound that comes from a lot of hondas....presonally i like the pacesetter muffler, it has good sound once you get the glasspack in there, but one of the chamberwalls in the muffler came loose and it just sits there and vibrates....making a really bad sound...

you could try a super turbo, or i beleive there is one dynomax that is better then that....i use to have super turbos on my crown vic and i loved them sounded mean as hell, but now we are talking about motor half the size...so i dunno....i just hope i am not dissapointed with my flowmaster...

anomalous

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
i have a flow master on my lxe... except i got mine all welded up ready to bolt on for $8.50 from a junk yard... i love it. it sounds super good. it is so far from loud its not funny but you deff know its there when you get on it. it sounds super good almost no rasp compaired to my cousins magnaflow on his gt anything above 3k there is more rasp that exhaust tone. i mean for me at 8.50 i cannot complain if it sounded like a constant fart but i really like it

·
Registered
694 Posts
Chambered muffler is the only way to go quieter. you need to add another esonator. This will not hurt flow, and then i'd get something like the Dynomax SuperTurbo muffler....very inexpensive.

On a previous car, i had a 4-1 header, 2.5" full exhaust and an Apexi N1 muffler....i could set off alarms at will. I swapped to a resonator and a Dynomax Superturbo and it was real quiet.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
i have a 2.25" flex, 2.25" piping all the way back to a stainless straight through muffler (erics old muffler, mike), and even with a glasspack as a resonator in there its still way the crap loud.

so i got a zx2 muffler with stainless tip from the jy and im putting that on prolly this weekend.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm running a "raptor" brand cheapy turbo muffler from my local parts shop. Was like 20bucks. Sounds much deeper and isn't raspy or excessivley loud at all.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Once again... go big if you want quiet. The bigger, the better. Also, of couse get one that is NOT straight-through.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I made a straight through muffler for one of my friend...and the design is rather simple and very effective to muffle the exhaust noise...

In order to get a quiet straight through muffler you need to use a a split style straight through muffler.... I think Dynomax sells them..or you can make your own if you have the tools too...just take your 2,25 '' ID pipe then use 2 different pieces of predrilled 2.25'' ID pipe ( or some mesh grill rolled and welded together). Arch it a little. Weld them together ( in order to form and eliptic loop) and then cut each end of the elipse in order to have a full 2.25'' ID opening at each sides....then weld it on and inlet pipe and and outlet pipe.... Wrap it in a muffler core and you'll have a nice and yet quiet straight throught muffler...
This design is often used in race application also...
I'll try to get pics and sound sample sooner or later.

·
Registered
167 Posts
in one of the focus performance magazines (dont remember which i have it at home though) they sell the factory Borla muffler with the tip that came on the ZX2 S/R. its resonably priced to if i remember correctly, if you want some more info just PM me and ill dig it up for you

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
a brand new Borla muffler for the ZX2 S/R is about $225. thats fairly cheap for a Borla. most Borla mufflers are in the $600-$1000 range.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
ehh throw in a resonater/ glass pack and see how it sounds.. the worst that u spend is what 20$? it has woirked for all the cars i have seen including my own with no cat...
-Justin

·
Registered
9 Posts
siragan said:
Go big and you can't go wrong. Of course, it shouldn't also be straight-through.
I was under teh impression that a straight through perferated(SP) core muffler was the best performance
a system should also ahve a proper amount of back pressure and if you go too big you have too little and it hurts performance

ify ou use a perf core straight through like a magnaflow then you will have best bang for buck

use a resonater a glass pack that is also perf core and it will be a deeper sound but wouldnt be too loud

if you do not go straight through you are robbing your car of performance again thats what I thought

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
this is on my GT, so its a lil different but not really:

i recently had a 2.25" manifold back exhaust pipe with no cat, glasspack resonator, and a straight through bosal muffler.

was very loud with an excellent tone. but way loud.

I just had a stock ZX2 muffler put on. i painted it black and polished the oval stainless tip. looks discreet and sounds fantabulous!

with the full length 2.25" piping its sounds very throaty. at my muffler shop when we started it up, everybody in the shop looked over to see where the Dodge Viper V10 was.

thats the other thing, my buddy and i were at work talking about how the Viper V10 sounds like a beefy I4 because 2 cylinders fire at once.

Borla makes a catback for the V10 to make it sound more like a big engine, but its so gosh darn expensive like anything of quality, like $2000.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.