FEOA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shopping for MAF spray cleaner and looking over the many choices of aerosol spray. Carb and brake cleaners cleaners I'm familiar with, but I saw the Seafoam Deep Clean (some name like that).
The can's directions said to spray into the intake, in through a vac hose if that is the only way to get it into the engine.

I've never used Seafoam products, but I have seen that name recommended for sealing old fuel tanks.

Is this stuff for real? Is it effective?

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
To clean the MAF is a whole different game than sucking Seafoam through a vacuum line (which cleans the combustion chambers).

To clean the MAF, remove the sensor from the air box.

To Seafoam, suck it in through any vacuum line that connects to the tee downstream of the IACV.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen seafoam in a spray can, just in a bottle that you can pour out of. brake booster is usually the best bet for getting it into the motor.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I bought the MAF spray cleaner. I get that project.
I'm pulling the airbox to do the fan relays, so this would be the time to clean the intake plenum and treat the MAF in particular.

And yes, the other product is an aerosol. The instructions say use the little straw and spray it into a vacumn hose. I didn't buy any but was curious what FEOA would have say about it.
I searched this site after posting that initial note and found there is in fact lots all ready said here about the Seafoam products.
"I'll need an extra fuel can for all the gas I'll save". I can tell y'all are believers.
My little wagon has enough miles, it's probably a likely candidate for giving it a try.

Having read on, there is the Seafoam liquid that goes into the gas tank. (to be followed by replacing the fuel filter.)
Would I use the engine treatment that is put into the intake before or after using the fuel treatment that goes into the tank?

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Its all the same treatment. You buy one can and dump 1/3 in the tank, 1/3 in the oil, and 1/3 in the vacuum line until the engine stalls. Let it sit 15 minutes, then start it and drive the snot out of it. Change the oil and filter when you get back and the treatment is done. You may have to change the fuel filter because some people have said that it loosens all the junk in the tank up.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts

video of me doing it to my first supra. Ignore me, I'm a bit obnoxious....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts