FEOA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys...
the weather is getting colder and I´ve noticed that I need to turn my engine over more times to get it to start. Is this normal? Can I do anything to help it along?

I just want the best for my 4-banger

thanks.

·
Registered
899 Posts
take and turn your key forward and backwards a few times with out turning the engine over. this gets the fuel pressure up and ready for starting. and then crank the car, it should crank right up with out having to turn over much at all. if this doesnt change anny thing, of course check the battery posts for needed cleaning.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
i have a similar prob, though maybe not so similar...

lately, though not necessariily cuz of the weather, maybe it´s just wear, but for manual trannys does the clutch pedal have to be pushed as far as physically possible to start the car, or just in enough to disengage clutch to start? i have to almost bend the pedal in i gotta push it so far back to start it, and now with my new pedals that i out on (cool as they are), since they are bigger and restrict the pedal movement slightly, i almost can´t turn it on

so is this normal for manuals or do i need to take it in? or something i could maybe do meself

·
Registered
899 Posts
id say the clutch ingage button/sensor is going bad. try turning the key, then slowly press in the clutch untill it starts, it may just be taking a little wile for the button to release.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So why does turning the key ok the ignition on and off boost fuel pressure? Exactly what is happening...
that works. neat trick.

·
Registered
899 Posts
it turns the fuel pump on every time, so the pressure gets greater so, it pumps fule up for a quicker start up. the better the pressure the better the ignition.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%>[TR][TD]Quote:

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]
On 2002-10-23 03:05, chadgore wrote:
id say the clutch ingage button/sensor is going bad. try turning the key, then slowly press in the clutch untill it starts, it may just be taking a little wile for the button to release.
[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

unfortunatly no-go. i can still start it, it´s just getting annoying to shove that pedal to the back wall to start it. take it in, or might it be easy to replace myself? (novice technician,but good w/ instructions...)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool. that trick works well...
as for your clutch problem, do you know exactly where the sensor is located to let the car know when the clutch is depressed all the way?

I remember seeing a switch under the dash... get under the dash and look for it. It´s this little button the clutch pedal runs into... maybe that´s it. maybe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts