FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all!

I want to start SCCA solo racing next year.

I have a 91 pony. This is my daily driver. At this moment it is complete stock except some customs wheels/tires. I still have the stock rims/tires. This would put me in the Stock Legal class.

Now I want to do the standard mods to this car. Lowering, intake, exhaust, UDP. Doing this would put me in the STS Legal Class.

My question is... Is there much difference in the level of competion in the two classes. Should I leave the car stock for the first year to get my feet wet, or go ahead and do the mods (so I can have more fun when Iam not racing).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I reccomend going into the racing stock at first. It's much cheaper and easier to test out the climate in stock and move up, than it is to modify and then find out you're in the wrong class.

Competition is going to vary from one club to the next and sometimes, from one race to the next, so be sure to ask some of the club leaders.

Stock classes and STS classes are usually some of the most popular.

I'm running Street Prepared which will allow me to use the 'update/backdate' rules, but right now I could run under either STS or FSP.

What I reccomend is starting in H Stock to check out the atmosphere. STS will probably look good, and you'll probably find it easy to mod your car to fit the specs. If you want to move on up from there, you can go FSP or into the mod classes.

Be sure you have some sort of chemistry with the folks you'll be racing against, because they're going to be the one's pushing you to go faster.

·
Registered
451 Posts
well said Beav.

you can still do some mods in stock class (i.e. struts, front sway bar)

get you feet wet with the car is, as thats how your most comfortable with it.

Plus, there are/will be rule changes for 2005, so sit tight. I don't think it will affect STS or HS but it may effect the SP/SM classes.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Speaking of the front swaybar being modable in Stock...

remove the front end links for one race.. let us know how it handles :D it should be fun. More roll, but much more neutral.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts