FEOA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
White.. a few cars over at a stoplight.

The 98lb blonde behind the wheel looked positively bored.. she certainly didn't look like the rally racer type.. what a waste :( I wonder if she even knew what she was driving.. or what it means to so many subaru fans out there.

Maybe I'm just being jealous.. Oh, and now that I've seen one in person.. I'm really sad that they didn't keep the bugeyes. The new impreza is going to look very dated in about 15 months.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
very true man. she doesn't know what she has. and I also wish they didn't redesign it. but I saw a Lancer EVO today. white, going the other way down the highway. I was like sweeeet. I saw a white WRX today too. 2002 or 03. not too sure of the year. But yeah, I don't see the point of the STi now that I think about it. it's .4 seconds faster than the WRX. a turbo upgrade on the WRX would meet and break any STi time, not to mention the WRX already outcorners/slaloms the STi.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I want that 300hp 2.5L motor to drop into my Legacy, but they'll be hard to come by.

Good new is, if C&D is right, by this time next year, Subaru will have the new Legacy out.. with 280hp version of that 2.5L turboed motor. :twisted: I need to start saving my pennies.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Well, you could always grab a 2.5 RS, which is already here, and buy some DOHC heads from Subaru Technica International, then throw on a turbo & intercooler system. You'd spend the 20k for the 2.5RS and not even another 6k for the turbo and heads. 300 hp for the price of the WRX, being under 30k which is the base of the STi.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or just start with a used GC8 '98 2.5RS (the only year the GC8 impreza came stock w/ DOHC).. and build it up from there (engine rebuild of course). Save yourself about 450lbs over the newest impreza... 375 if you throw in a 6 point roll cage to stiffen it up (oh, and make it a bit safer)... but alas.. no cash :?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True, manual torque variation could be a whole lot of fun. :?

I'm not fond of the EVO VIII.. partially because I've had bad experiences with Mitsubishi products, and partially because they've had years of complaints about the weak clutches in the EVOs and haven't fixed the problem. I like my clutches to last more than 5k miles at a time. I wouldn't mind driving one for a day though.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Even with the variable torque distribution the STi pulls a .91g, coming up short to the EVO which pulls a .95g :wink:

The STi and the 2.5RS have the same engine, the EJ25. which leads me to assume that the heads will bolt right up.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
15,000 dollars with 120 hp and dinky 15" rims. they're so ugly and slow. :roll:

But I knew as soon as they released them that Mitsu was gonna bring an EVO to the states. but the price of the STi and the EVO are crazyness...but what do you expect for 13 second 4 bangers?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Attention, New EVO 8 sitting on ray skillmans parking lot with 150miles on it and a blown motor :) take a guess.. it goes to 150mph without being broke in... speedo is broken at 150mph :) The guy why did it wanted to know how fast it would go. I was like wtf dude 600-1000 mile breakin period

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The STi and the 2.5RS have the same engine, the EJ25. which leads me to assume that the heads will bolt right up.
The STi heads use variable valve timing, a first for Subaru, so don't assume too much just yet... hopefully that's the case though. The other thing is.. the bottom end of the STi is built for 8000rpm and some decent boost.. which is a whole frickin lot for such a big motor. I wouldn't expect the bottom end of a 2.5RS EJ25 to complement the powerband of the STi. Hell, just do what Sport Compact Car did.. build your own from a GC8.. they got 400hp at the wheels before their trannies started grenading. :twisted:

I was like wtf dude 600-1000 mile breakin period
Which might have extended the car's lifespan another 3000 miles. EVOs are POSs.. a fast car isn't that fast when it's on cinderblocks (or wrapped around a tree) in your front yard.

But I knew as soon as they released them that Mitsu was gonna bring an EVO to the states.
You know.. the older Mitsu Mirage was a Lancer.. we just never got the fast version.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts