FEOA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought one, installed it, not sure if i'm happy or not.

Hopefully a few of you have done this before and will have some guesses as to what's wrong and why it's doing what it is.

Took off the old small one, put on the older larger RX-7 one. No leaks in the intake, everything is fine. Reset the ECU.

Idle's better than before.
From 2k RPM - 3k RPM - It's bogged down. Probably slower than an LX.
From 3k-4.5k - Normal, don't notice a difference.
From 4.5k-5.5k - Bogs back down. Kinda like anti-v-tec.
From 5.5k-7.?k - Screams. Alot of improvement. Kinda like v-tec. :)

Also, the throttle response has been shot all to hell. ANYWHERE in the RPM band, if i floor it, it stutters/slows down for a few secs, then goes. Once the pedal hits the floor, it's like i take my foot OFF of the gas for a sec. or 2, THEN it goes. Get what i'm sayin'? It only does this while in gear.. while in nuetral, the engine revs like normal.

Also, it flutters while holding the gas pedal still.. while cruising down the highway, it will increase/decrease in speed all by itself, and occasianally, it will act like i completely took my foot off of the gas, and the check engine light will come on.. then i floor it for a sec and everything's fine and dandy again..

Any guesses? I'm stumped. It worked fine on the car i got it off of. I'm about to put my small one back on just for driveability.. the top end power almost isn't worth it..

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i would, but putting the smaller one back in isn't really an easy task.. the in/out connectors on both ends of the smaller and larger VAM's are different sizes, so i have to find hoses to fit, re-silicone the adapter plate, ect.

i am 100% sure there are no tears in the intake tube or any vacuum hoses. i have replaced all of the vacuum hoses within the past few months, and i had the whole intake hose off a few times recently, and it's no different than before. :) also, it's not making any "hissing" sounds associated with either of the above.

the signal is sends is the only thing i'm concerned about, and this is kinda what i was wondering if anyone knew about. i'm sure PHYSICALLY the entire system is fine, and i'm pretty sure the VAM itstelf is operating properly.. i just want to know if there is something that needs to be done wiring-wise that i left out, or if this was normal with the larger VAM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.