FEOA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey yall i went to the local junkers to pick out some sweet parts for my car... ya kno like the rear disk swap shit...

well i got there... some one raped the car i was gonna take parts from so i hunted around.... found anouther subject in my crime. so i decided hell i can rebuild these calipurs or trade em in for replacements and use the spindle on the other car thats still in nice condition... so i start at it...

3hrs later i got one fucking set of bolts removed.... the ones that hold the knuckle to the shock... am i pissed at that point. then i gotta leave cause the yard closes.

i come to you... good bolt removong techniqes. any one got em for rust bolts?.. :roll:

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
get some good penetrating lube, the right stuff will save you lots of trouble....i personally use valvoline synpower pentrating lube...its the best stuff i have ever used, and i swear by it and use nothing else...unfortunatley its getting harder and harder to find...good thing i bough three cans the last time i saw it.....i recently saw a spray can (like wd-40) i havent used it, im sure its the same stuff, but the cans i got have a built in straw, It looks exactly like their carb clean can...just pen lube...throw some of that stuff on there and let it soak overnite and should help you out...

Anomalous

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
PB Blaster if you need something to just loosen the rust. Besides that, get the largest ratchet you have and stick a cheater pipe on it like everyone else said.

·
Registered
235 Posts
yeah, i have a 6 ft pipe that i use for stubborn bolts. pb blaster will help alot too, soak it every 10min for about an hr, then let it sit overnight, itll break loose. but don't reuse that bolt, it's trash.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
dont forget to use 6 point sockets when you're trying to shear the head off a bolt. 12 points will just round the edges off and make it even more impossible to remove. My personal favorite for removing uneeded bolts is shearing them off with a big ratchet or breaker bar. Its fast, cheap, and relatively painless. Not to mention breakin stuff is fun.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just spent over an hour trying to get my R. rear caliper off. Then I went to Sears and bought the Craftsman bolt removal kit. I had the bolt out in 10 secs! I then removed my exhaust in minutes. Well worth the price ($30 CND for both sets).

·
Registered
301 Posts
quickest most efficient way to unstick a bolt?

TORCHES. get good with them. They save you more time then penetrating fluid. Penetrating fluid is good for when you're taking a hone and cleaning a caliper slide. Good for when you're drilling out a stuck bolt, and is okay when you have lots of time to stand and wait. Torches and a nice glass of cold water to quench what you just heated up will do the job that the penetrating fluid does in 1/5 the time.

You can go and buy benzomatic torches for like $70 bucks Canadian and the refills are uber cheap. They don't last long but it's so easy to transport this kit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts