FEOA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I thought that this was weird today. Somehow my battery died down on me while I was at work, okay and when my car cut off on me today...my RPM needle went all the way around past the 8/9000 mark and on the other side of the place that catches the needle.

My ??? now is, is there anyways to get tha needle to come back around or will it fix itself when I find out whats going on with my battery?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I floored my car and got the needle to 7 grand and turned the key off and kept my foot to the floor so it sounds like it's floored only down reving right, and the needle stayed at 8k rpm then I started it and reved it just a tad and it came back to normal.

so when it's fixed it should come back around normal. should, not will, should :p

·
Registered
436 Posts
Any ideas how to reset a needle off the rpm gauge? I took the needles off and now i don't know how to get the rpm back to where it needs to be. The speedo is easy i just matched it with my gps.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
that's an easy one Drunkinmist! ok so take that peg that hit 0 rpm out, the plastic one, k now you just turn the ignition on with out the car running and that'll move the motor to 0 rpm, put your needle on 0 rpm and that should put it on dead 0. then start it and it'll go to high idle if it's cold and you can tell by that.

hopefully that works for ya, tis how I did mine when I painted my dash....

I just took that bezel out and painted it with aluminum high temp paint so it looks kinda like aluminum but it's the original plastic bezel. I like it, and that's red anodized paint on the needles, then under the gauges it's blue when you turn the lights on. I like it.

if you need more detailed info lemme kno!

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Hey, I don't mean to disagree in any way, but I performed it differently. I left the engine to idle, then position the needle and press on like normal. I found it eliminates guess work and is more accurate.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
that would most definitely work too!!! put it right at the 800 mark where it usually sits. yeah that would work!

everyone has their way to do it, and some are better than others, I think idling it is the better more accurate way! yeah thanks for sharing that man!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
yeah it can't hurt to just peg the rev limiter, and it's fun to do! especially in first gear in the rain!

announce your presence with that 7250 RPM! YEAAAAAH

yeah I pegged mine at 8 grand again today and started it and started driving normal shifting at 3 grand max and it came back within a block of driving just 1st and 2nd shifts she came back around, try just gently SMASHING your fist on top of the dash. while you are driving at speed cruising.

that's my .02 worth

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
If you think it is stuck under the limit pin, pull the clear face of the cluster and remove the limiter to reposition the needle. Then replace pin when happy. I haven't heard of it but maybe you tach went bad (doubt it). I changed the color of my gauges, so I had them apart several times. I noticed that with the tach, when not powered up, when you move needle (it's spring loaded of course), but when it was turned manually past about 4-5k that it would spring down to 8k or to the limit pin. I don't know if that helps, but I did notice it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
just run it to redline. ive had it happen to me before too. my floor mat got stuck on the gas pedal so i shut the key off when it was at like 6 grand. the needle flipped all the way around under the peg. after i pulled the floor mat back out and started the car i just stuffed it and it switched back once i got back close to redline.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll have have to try that redline then, and when i do this redline is this with the car in N or do I need to be like driving? Cause when I cut the car on Im not gettin much bounce from the needle cause it's like right under then thing when the car starts. So as soon as I give it any gas, it's already under the pin pushing against it. thanx for all the good info

·
Registered
436 Posts
Do you have an auto? If you do then there is a rev limitier and it won't let you do it. Just take the plastic off and push it back by hand. Its simple to do and will take about 20 mins of your time if you have never done it before. Just keep track of the screws.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
good morning guys, well today Ima go outside and rev the car to see if it'll fix the problem. It's kinda hard to see what im actually revving to since the pin is stuck, but i'll do that then what else do I do once I rev it though?

It sounds like the procedure is...

1. Start car
2. Rev the car to redline in N or while driving
3. And as it so infamously says in "Dude Where's My Car"....And Then....lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.