FEOA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was going to do an oil change and my car was 2qts low so I just topped it off with Royal Purple. Instantly I noticed an improvement in idle and throttle response. The motor overall seemed to run much smoother. I even noticed a small power increase in 2nd and 3rd gear. Am I crazy, or is this what everyone experienced?

· Registered
133 Posts
Yea I used ams oil which is in the same quality as royal purple and I noticed a performance diffrence but it's expensive. You can find independent done tests that prove it does increase power to the wheels becuase it reduces parisitic lose threw friction. So if your car say makes 127 flywheel HP and 108 hp to wheels with standard oil cause of friction and drivetrain you might get 110hp to wheels cause less friction and heat reduced parasitic lose threw moving parts.

· Registered
725 Posts
I heard that royal purple is not as good as the company wants you to believe! I remember reading somewhere that it has wrecked motors and decreases their life. I THINK it was on club protege. Anyone else (that is also a member of clubprotege) remember reading that?

I'd use redline or mobil 1.

Edit:

I just found the thread.

http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17983

· Registered
314 Posts
Ive always heard the same thing, that Royal Purple will help short-term, but in the long run will actually decrease the engine's life, and that its not a real synthetic.

I just run Mobil 1. Its $20 or so for a gallong of full synthetic at Walmart, and has yet to give me any issues in any of the cars Ive used it in, so I just keep with it,. Cant beat good and cheap.

· Registered
1,446 Posts
drummacompton said:
Well I was going to do an oil change and my car was 2qts low so I just topped it off with Royal Purple. Instantly I noticed an improvement in idle and throttle response. The motor overall seemed to run much smoother. I even noticed a small power increase in 2nd and 3rd gear. Am I crazy, or is this what everyone experienced?
Let me get this straight:

Your car was two quarts low, and after refilling it, you noticed it ran smoother?

I'll tell you right now it wasn't because you two quarts of Royal Purple... :p

· Registered
2,686 Posts
One guy that I know has a wrx sti and will not run rp ever again. He had a sample of the oil sent off for analysis after 5k miles and the 10w-30 had broken down to about a 5w-20 in that time span. He runs castrol syntec now and hasn't had any problems out of it. Now amsoil is good, my boss run 0w-30 amsoil in his ex-fbi drug interceptor '92 camaro.

· Registered
2,538 Posts
i ran royal purple in my old supra. after about a week i noticed that the oil pressure gauge wasn't reading as high as it was supposed to, and actually got to the point where it was just reading low, all the time and it was running really shitty. when i drained it it had the consistency of water, refilled with a conventional 10w30 and everything was peachy.

· Registered
6,057 Posts
i tried royal purple and it did a whole lot of nothing of improvements. IMO waste of money

· Registered
1,100 Posts
I just use this stuff called "motor oil" works great.

I quit wasting my money on the "high performance" stuff.

I don't own a corvette or ferrari so I just buy oil, a filter, change it every 3k miles, and call it good. keep it changed, keep it full

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.