FEOA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that remember my earlier problem, grounds etc are fine.

95 LX 1.9L

Problem #1:

Engine during idle or at very very low speeds is running rough and will eventually stall. Also when at idle, I can smell what seems to be exhaust, it doesn't have a "coolant smell" as far as I can tell and see a little smoke coming from under the hood near the firewall area.

This morning I noticed some coolant leaking, took a quick look couldn't see the exact source but it looked like it was coming from anywhere from the radiator cap on down. (I may have overfilled when doing fluid checks)
The engine is not running hot.

Vehicle history: engine rebuilt in 2000 and engine head (valve area)replaced in 2002.

Please ask questions if not enough info given.

TIA

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Problem #1

Unless you have an exhaust leak (and you'd know by the sound), what you smell is something else. I'd expect smoke to be originating from the exhaust side of the engine as opposed to the intake/firewall side. It's possible your valve cover is warped (perhaps it was over-torqued after the valve work), no longer seals properly and engine oil is slowly escaping, running down and burning on hotter parts of the engine. If you're stalling out, at the minimum you will be getting codes. Please have your codes read. As Jeff suggests, a wonky idle can be attributed to numerous causes.

Problem #2

Is the coolant level in your reservoir dropping enough to notice? If you can, park your car over a piece of cardboard every night for a while and see if coolant collects in a given spot regularly. You may want to pull the rad and have it pressure tested. My rad has developed several very small leaks over the years and I've always been able to get the leak to seal up; I'm still on the original, stock rad, but I think another small leak has just become noticeable with the colder weather.

Keep us posted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.