FEOA Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 ZX2 Cool, app. 77,000 miles.

The issue is with the idle. When at a standstill, the idle fluctuates between 500 and 1000 RPMs, sometimes softly, sometimes a little violently. When I come to a stop, as often as not, it stalls outright unless I jockey the brakes a certain way.

I had this same issue last year and it turned out to be a rotted vacuum hose. Then, there was a noticeable vacuum leak--you could hear it hissing when the motor ran. In any case, I replaced the hoses and it ran fine until about a week ago. The symptoms are all the same, save for there being no detectable vacuum leak (I can neither hear it nor find it with the carb-cleaner spray test). The PCV valve was beyond filthy, so I replaced it this afternoon. If anything, it seems to be slightly worse for that improvement.

It is worth mentioning that the timing belt tensioner failed earlier this month, necessitating the replacement of it and the belt. The idle problem began as soon as I got the car back. Of course, I went back and explained what was going on, and, also of course, the mechanic denied any knowledge or possibility of wrongdoing. He may even be right and it's just bad coincidence. I don't know enough to say, and after paying nearly $800 for the repair work, I'd like to figure it out without paying the guy another $80 just to take a look at it. Do you guys have any suggestions?

If I did not provide adequate information, I'll of course clarify however I can and thank you for taking the time to read over this.

· Registered
515 Posts
The only thing I can think of is the IAC valve. Its common on the zx2. I can not tell you much more than that sorry. ZX2Fast would probably be able to help you with how to test that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.