FEOA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I have slotted ones on my front with carbon fiber pads that I got from CTA Motorsports...they are by KVR if I remember right...but I have had them on over a year and with hard driving and braking...I have had no problems so far...one thins I did notice though is less that usual brake dust on my front wheels...funny to have more dust on the back than front

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
as far as I can tell the biggest differences come when they are warmed up...the hotter I get the carbon ones the better response I seem to get...other than that it's just the dust thing I mentioned before...not nearly as hard to clean up after.....and I don't know if it is true that the grip better or if that is from the rotors...plus that is a seat of the pants feel from me on the road

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey there.

Well, from what I know about the whole rotor thing, there could be a few reaons to go slotted or cross-drilled.

Basically, slotted rotors will help you out with brake fade over time, and with heavy braking. The slots increase the surface area of the rotor (just a little bit) and help with cooling, but they tend to really shine in wet weather braking. On a normal rotor, if it is wet and you apply the brakes, they clamp onto a film of water, and it then has to displace the water before you can stop. With slotted rotors, much of the water can be displaced immediately, so braking response is more immediate. (Admittedly, there really isnt too much difference here as far as time frame, but every little bit helps) Also, slotted rotors help reduce "glazing" of brake pads, and especially help if using organic pads. They tend to scrape off the surface of the pad a little bit more, which means that there is slightly increased pad wear if using normal pads.

Drilled rotors started out for guys serious about racing and were doing everything they could to reduce unsprung weight. So, in addition to making a lighter rotor, the cooling is greatly increased, plus you get the wet stopping advantage from the slotted rotors. However, the drilling does tend to create a weaker rotor, and small cracks can appear around the drilled holes.

IMO, I would rather just have slotted than drilled rotors, but then again I dont really need the added stopping power either so to me it isnt worth the extra $$$. (I just put on a new set of rotors from NAPA, they work great for me)

Sorry for the long post, I hope it helped someone out. Also, if anyone knows that what I wrote is wrong, please let me know. Im just sort of shooting from the hip about stuff I have read over the years. Any input is appreciated, flaming is not. :D

~Bug

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
i have the brembo cross and slotted.
same as my buddy, he drives hard, no craking yet, and we noticed a diffretnce! for us its about 120-100 for a set fo 2

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I personally feel that slotted rotors are mainly hype. I would recommend, instead of spending your money on rotors, spend the money on brake pads and new SS brake lines.

The pads will make a much larger difference in braking than new rotors will.

The brake lines won't improve braking power, per se, but they WILL make a big difference in the pedal feel and modulation.
Coming from the mouth of somebody who is serious about autocross and is big into braking and suspension, the feel of the brakes is very important for threshold braking. You need to be able to feel right when the tires are about to lock up, and the difference between the spongy stock hoses and SS hoses is big. If I were doing brake work, the first thing I would do is brake lines.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My neighbor kid Stephen (that just had the crash) took my own rotors into the career center and slotted my rotors.... He did a great job.... he even made them directional (left and right side) he put 5 slots in each side they are nice and I cant wait to try them out...

Grav1ty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.