FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I honed my cylinders and checked the gap of the compression rings.
The gap is between .015 and .016.
Does this sound about right to you ?
I was expecting it tto be closer.
Ziton

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you honed your cylinders we assume you did it correctly and have a smooth crosshatch at one full X per the length of the cylinder. The cylinder hone is critical to a good ring seat and subsequent performance. Generally, not a DIY project at home unless you have proper equipment.

Proper ring gap (varies some by ring) is .005/per inch of bore for the top compression ring and .0053-5 for the second ring (more). The oil expanders should not be gapped and they should be staggered so all of the groves are not aligned.

All of the rings should be staggered around the piston so the gaps are not aligned at the time of install.

When you check the gap be very sure that the ring is square in the bore about 2 inches down and use 3 feeler gauges - go -fit-no go to measure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EscorGo said:
Did the ring set has some gap specs with it?
NO I did some research and found the ring gap specs online
thanks
0.0118-0.0197 top ring
0.0118-0.0197 second ring
0.0158-0.0551 oil ring

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Wow, that was great, i get to the bottom of this thread and there is a ad for diamond rings, (as in jewlrey) maybe should have screen capt it! sorry for being off-topic, but it was epic!

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
I built my engine to 1.6L specs, and ring end gap was set to .012" for both compression rings and oil ring gap was pretty snug around .017" too. I had the honing done at a local machine shop since the block had to be bored a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.