FEOA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drug this 95 EGT out of a field to fix and get running. I did just that, but the tuner rims that are on here rub real good on the front strut towers. I have no idea about rim size or what, but the rims seem to need to go out 3/8 to 1/2 inch. Where can I pick up some spacers and what can I expect to pay? Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
I wouldnt use spacers - to go out as much as 1/2" you would be too close to the end of the threads on the studs, and longer studs would be needed. But then I would wonder if the tires would be rubbing on the outer side in hard turns. What I am saying is, I would try stock rims first. If they rub, its possible someone put in a wrong strut, or the spindle to strut connection is wrong - which would involve a bad misalignment (negative camber).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After looking at it again, it's not rubbing on anything. It's just wearing the inside inch to inch and a half of tire. I think the dummy that had it before me lowered the car by turning the suspension all the way down. Thoughts? I am no where near as proficient in suspensions as I am in drivetrains.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
RJ285 said:
After looking at it again, it's not rubbing on anything. It's just wearing the inside inch to inch and a half of tire. I think the dummy that had it before me lowered the car by turning the suspension all the way down. Thoughts? I am no where near as proficient in suspensions as I am in drivetrains.
Turned the suspension down....?

·
Super Moderator
10,293 Posts
Wear on the very inside edge of the tread could be from the wheels being toed-out badly (but the other tire would then be wearing similarly), or from the wheel being badly de-cambered. That is, tilted inward at the top from a lousy strut installation or having gotten bent in hitting something - or from a wheel bearing that is really really bad. (Which means I think it would make noise). Be sure to check that the hub nut is tight and the lug nuts are snug.
If you can find a really flat parking lot, & close to level as possible, you could measure how close to vertical each front wheel/tire is. if you can figure a way to measure between the inner sidewalls of the tires, both in front of the axle, and behind the axle - the sidewalls should be the same distance apart. To do this you have to drive forward, and stop the car without having it roll back AT ALL.
The church parking lot near us is what i liked to use. It was really planar, and had a uniform tilt of 2 degrees. I used a carpernters square to find 'vertical', and a machinists protractor to measure the small angles. I had a good clean plank, uniformly straight, & 2 ft long, that i would hold against the side of the tire. Not a great alighnment, but it would show up problems the naked eye could not see.
Also, measure the distance from the exact center of the front/rear wheels on each side of the car. Do it carefully enough to be accurate to 1/16". This is how I check to see if a lower control arm has gotten bent (or a bushing is chewed up). This can happen anytime the car slides into a curb on a snowy road.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both tires are worn in the same way and to the same degree. Thanks for your insight. I will look to do as you have prescribed sometime this weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts