FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking for any info i can find from anybody that's modified a stock bumper. who's done what? and with what materials?

i've heard of people using bondo / fiberglass to fill bumpers (shave body lines) or to add to the bottom of a bumper etc etc. what type of prep work does it take? how well does it stick? has it cracked / broken off?

has anybody done any plastic welding? or used specialty adhesives? what type of tools and equipment did it require and at what cost? i dont want to invest a fortune for a one time project.

how does paint stick to a factory 2nd gen bumper? any special prep or special products for that?

anything else i should know? any tips / tricks? does anybody know specifically what material these bumpers are? im assuming TPO...

btw, a vague description of what im doing (without saying too much) is using parts of two different bumpers to make one finished product. i know, nothing that hasnt been done before, but i dont want to say too much :roll:

·
Registered
447 Posts
lol... IDK about 2g bumpers, they seem a lot more brittle than a 3g bumper, but I just sanded and fiberglassed mine with Kitty Hair (Tiger Hair)...it's just long strand fiberglass in a can that you put hardener to and mud away, sand it flat and paint it.

I didnt use flex agents or anything on the paint on my bumper and it held up fairly well, however I did crack some of my fiberglass work, but it took a helluva lot to do it. I bottomed the bumper out on a dip and thats when it broke. Other than that it would have been fine. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave94LX said:
I shaved the lines off of an EGT rear bumper:
wanna let me in on the secret or are you intentionally keeping me in the dark? :p

venom - i had thought of that, it's just a filler with glass strands in it, right?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nobody's got any input on this? i've been looking and i think maybe these bumpers are actually a polycarbonate blend (pc+pbt) does anybody know if a polyester resin will stick to it?

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
to be honest... it was about 10 years ago... I can't remember what was used. I know it wasn't bondo, it was some other material. Must have done the trick, because it still looks good after all these years.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave94LX said:
to be honest... it was about 10 years ago... I can't remember what was used. I know it wasn't bondo, it was some other material. Must have done the trick, because it still looks good after all these years.
alright thanks dave. i think im just gonna try either bondo or fiberglass. both are based on polyester resin, and the bumper is a polycarbonate/polyester blend from what i gather.

·
Registered
172 Posts
kitty hair or bondo hair will work just fine, if you wanna do it right i'd suggest to go to an autobody supply store and get some dyna glass or any other higher end brand, they seem to stick alot better and they cost around the same. Make sure you sanded the area fully and clean the surface with alcohol before lying this stuff down.

matt,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.