FEOA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed mine so that I could let the turbo on my SPI breathe a little better. Never thought twice about it but there was a post (on the worst mods ever thread) saying:
======================
taking off the resonator on my intake.... believe it or not, it's there for a reason, and no not just to make it quieter. it helps it run smoother in balance with the resonator AFTER the air filter, controlled by a sensor on the head. it made it idle real low and pretty rough, and when it started getting colder, it stalled on me. so i put it back on, and it's been completely fine ever since. the resonators are actually put there to maximize torque at different engine speeds. seriously, leave it on.
======================

Sensor on the head?
Resonater on the intake side of the filter?
Maximize torque?

I'm having a hard time believeing this, any thoughts? The more air the better escpecially when running boosted. Many, many cars put on CAI's to open up the intake. I have never heard that restricting the intake by keeping the resonator on could help torque.

I have a rebuilt SPI head in my garage.... no intake sensors in there?

· Registered
1,151 Posts
Welll the pressure in the intake tube is slighty lighter when you remove the resonator and air induct duct....

your engine is like a pump...it pumps air in the air intake tube as the cycles of the engine go on. But, the engine is not sucking air in continuously....instead it does take lots of small breaths...

so at low rpms, the period of time between the breaths is longer then when you are at full rpms.... since the cycles of the engine are way more faster.

The intake tube is supposed to be designed to function with the air wave of these breaths....as each of the waves drag and push the others... just like the back pressure in the exxhaust...sooo

removing the resonator and the air inlet duct changes the properties of the air waves...thus changing the pressure thus give less consttant air into the engine. Its like when you sip on a small straw and a large straw...you will be able to breath longer and more consistantly with the small diameter straw(torque in the low rpms) but you will be able to bring more air in with the larger straw ( HP at high rpms)...

So if you are hauling a trailer...keep the resonator...if you are a HIgH reving bi*tch like me take it off!!!
So..correct me if im wrong ..this is what i think but i never read on that subject lol...

· Registered
2,125 Posts
  • He wrote that regarding his GT.. which has a BP engine, not the SPI
  • There is no resonator on the non-SPI CVH (>97) Only a muffling snorkle.
  • A resonator tube that branches off of a straight intake pipe should have absolutely no effect on high rpm flow.. so why remove it?

· Registered
767 Posts
Beaverboy said:
  • He wrote that regarding his GT.. which has a BP engine, not the SPI
  • There is no resonator on the non-SPI CVH (>97) Only a muffling snorkle.
  • A resonator tube that branches off of a straight intake pipe should have absolutely no effect on high rpm flow.. so why remove it?
a) yes, i did write it about my egt.

c) he's right, the airflow is constant at higher rpms, so the air just flows past the resonator. but at low rpms where you get a less constant airflow and more of a blip kinda of breathing, such as in stop and go city driving, it is much better and can help your fuel efficiency to keep the resonator on. it causes more jerkyness at lower rpms, which can put alot of unnecessary wear on your clutch.

now... i'm going to write exactly what it says in the chilton's manual about the resonators... the resonators combined along with the sensor i mentioned, make up the Variable Inertia Charging System:

Variable Inertia Charging System- helps to improve the resonance induced inertia charging effect which will yield greater torque and a wider torque band under certain engine operating conditions.

NOW..... on the BP, there is a resonance duct, and a resonance chamber. the resonance duct is the pipe that is mounted on top of where your radiator is, and covers about the full length of the radiator, mounted before the air filter.. the resonance chamber, is located after the air filter, and helps the resonance duct balance out the pressure of the blips of air the engine sucks in, thus making the engine idle smoother. this is very helpful in saving you repairs on your car (ie, replacing a clutch). because most of your clutch wear comes when you take off from a stop, and if your engine is already running rough from a stop, it's not going to be as smooth as it could be, and end up costing you another $300 for a clutch, or however much you guys pay for them (whether you install it yourself or not) alot sooner than it should.
[/list]

· Registered
220 Posts
Hm, that straw analogy wasn't very reassuring... I'd really like to have a large tube to breathe :D

As a side note, I took of the resonator, slight change in sound, about and a big change in my ego believeing the car goes faster (~110 VHP - Virtual Horse Power) , so the objective has been met. Not to mention the car is lighter.. lol

The other thing I actually tried was to remove both the resonator, and air filter box, leaving the OEM air filter attached to the upper intake part with 3 elastic bands - so that there was nothing covering the filter from the bottom. This makes a WAY more noticable difference in the sound..and just became annoying at full throttle for the long run. Oh and the filter got splashed and muddy a couple of times :)

· Registered
2,755 Posts
basically a resonator just quiets the sound of the intake by forcing the air to slow down and move around turns and such

but on my first gen protege ie 91-93 or 94 somethin like that it had a resonator as well as a heated bar thinggy (dont know the word for it cuz its a worthless piece of plastic and i dont care) basically its a tube which extends over the rad and doesnt have a opening but is connected to the intake (might have a small hole opening like 1/8 inch anyways it takes warm heated air and shoves it in the intake to help the car start while its cold

to bad car your getting minus 20 c (-4 f) and your gonna love it

· Registered
994 Posts
Alright guys, lets clear this up.

On both 1.8 and 1.9 engines there is a resonator before the air filter. For you lx'er it the jug shaped thing. When I took mine off on the 1.9 there was an increase in noise, and pretty much nothing else. I'd assume its the same for the 1.8, but i haven't taken mine off on the 1.8

On the 1.8 there is another box in addition to the resonator, it is after the airfilter on the intake tube. It is a heimholtz box. This is the part that you do not want to take off since as previously said it does serve a good purpose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.