FEOA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help/instructions on how to replace the stock intake filter on my 95 lx with an aftermarket cone filter. I was told that I just needed to unbolt the stock housing and the aftermarket would fit. My issue it that there are two sensor plugs, one behind where I would unbolt the stock housing and one that is actually screwed into the housing, this one is the one I'm not sure what to do with because I'm pretty sure that there is not a space for whatever this piece is to screw into the aftermarket filter. Need help, illustrations are appreciated if available. Thanks

Slim

·
Registered
111 Posts
if you poke around on this site you should find quite a few different options for replacing your stock intake setup.i have a `96 1.9 lx.i got a k&n style open air element from a friend, removed the entire airbox assembly, fabricated an adapter plate from some sheet metal i had on hand,made a gasket from some felpro gasket material purchasable at any large parts store and mounted the filter directly to my mass air flow sensor.then i took a heavy duty rubber mudflap i had never used from one of my 4runners and tucked it up under the element,which helps hold it where i want it,keeps any water from the road below it from getting into the intake and shields the intake from most of the underhood heat so it sucks much cooler air than it would otherwise,basically like the heat shields that come with intake kits.it doesn`t even like too bad.i understand there are many subtle differneces with the 1.9`s between the different years,so your setup may vary from mine regarding sensors,but the basics of the swap are pretty much the same.
after i did this ,i read a thread on here regarding the larger pepboys type stores selling aftermarket adapter plates for just this kind of swap.
do some digging and you should find some great ideas. by the way,the sensor that screws into the box itself is the idle air intake control sensor (i believe that`s what it`s called) and i just stuck it back down into the original intake tube that the box sucked on.that way it won`t get wet and won`t read too much of the ambient heat from the engine which could cause the computer to think that the air going into the engine is actually hotter than it actually is causing poor performance.if you look up info on here or elsewhwere about the iac sensor you`ll see what i mean.not a big deal.
anyway have fun,hope this helped.be sure to always double check your sources to systhesise your info!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts