FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing both of the axles in my 94 1.9L car. I picked up the reman units from AutoZone today and noticed that the longer axle (passenger side) is missing the little rubber damper that is in the middle of the OEM axle. Is this something that is needed or not? Also, is it necessary or recommeneded to replace the axle oil-seals on both sides when doing this job. I looked through both of the shop-manuals that I have and neither one mentioned anything about this. It seems to me that this part should be changed while it is convenient to avoid leaks. When installing a cam or crank you always replace the oil-seal, right?! Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've done a bunch of clutches on front wheel drives and never had a problem with leaking axle seals. You just need to be careful. I also put a little oil on the seal before reinstalling the axles. That said, I am cheap and it certainly is good insurance to put new seals in.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quick additional note. The seals in the engine see much more pressure than the seals in the manual transmission and in my experience are much more prone to leaking. I've certainly replaced my share of crank seals, front and rear! I'm not sure about the rubber doughnut in the middle of the axle. I think it might have to due with balancing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback - I am the "better safe than sorry" type and will usually spend the few extra bucks when it's deemed beneficial. I will pull one of the axles tomorrow and see how easy/hard it is to replace the axle-seals. Anyone else have any recommendations for the rubber-damper on the passenger-side axle? Is there a universal-fit one that I can buy?

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
Some times the tranny output seal's will get damaged while prying out the axles. So watch for that. If the seal's are un-damaged, and does'nt have a history of leaking, I'd leave em alone. If one does leak, it's not that hard to fix later on.

Oh, and your tranny fill plug (speed cable sender) is seized.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.