FEOA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.....here is the deal. I own a ´95 LX with a sunroof. I have already painted part of my dash. I got it out from behind the steering wheel and painted that.... but I was thinkign about doing some more. I have time now....so here is the question. How do you remove the little heat vents on the dash? I have one on my driver and passenger side....not the ones you can angle but the built down in ones. They look like that would come off if you pulled hard enough...but I want to make sure they will go back on....anybody done this?? How about removing the case off your sunroof motor? I would like to paint it too if I could...but I don´t want to cause a big mess taking it apart. If you have done this please message me!!!!! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! ;-)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
i tried just prying those vents out cuz i didn´t want to take apart my whole dash to possibly get at any clips / screws that might be under there. prying didn´t work and i ended up cracking one of the fins :-( w00t for epoxy! :-]

·
Registered
899 Posts
they are held in by two clips. one on each side, just slide a small flat head under it then push in. it will take a good bit of prying.

·
Registered
911 Posts
as for the sunroof motor case...take off that little clip on cover and un screw those one or 2 screws underneath and it will pop down and pull out.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Is it possible to get a electric or non electric sunroof or moonroof put in? i know the dome light would have to be removed and whats the diff between a sunroof or moonroof?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
on my old lx, the lettlw vents on the side for me just popped out, i painted htem and they right back in for you no problems!

·
Registered
899 Posts
moon ropfs and sun roofs are the same thing people just say it deferently. i have a sun roof in my lx as well. a moon roof could be a way to describe the non removable type, the ones that just lift up. not slide back. they are not skylights.

·
Registered
302 Posts
To me the definition of a moon roof is one that slides back into the roof, hiding itself. I think a sunroof is one that pops up and slides back on top of the roof, or just flips up like in the first gen scorts. Those flip up ones can also be removed completely. These are just my opinion as to what I think the difference is between the two, but to most people these terms are interchangable. I think it is possible to get either one put in a scort, but it would be very expensive. Also those tops that remove like on fast and the furious are called targa tops. The honda del sol has one, as does some older Porsche´s, ferrari´s, and plenty of other cars as well.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
either way i think they´re both cool and i´m jealous of all Scorts which have one :cool: anyone know how much it would be to get one installed? (a non-powered flip up one)

·
Registered
53 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%>[TR][TD]Quote:

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]
07-04-2003 at 16:50, Beaverboy wrote:
A moonroof is clear, made of glass or lexan. A sunroof is sheetmetal, like any other body part.
[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

I´m not flaming but, this is incorrect. A moonroof is made of glass, and can me smoke color, or even painted opague, it open like a vent or slides back into the roof. While a sunrood can be made of glass, or metal (not very often), and all it does is hinge and pop up. Usually the glass can be removed for open air driving.

ALex

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Funny, my old 320i has had a sunroof that tilts and slides back since before the term moonroof came to be. The amount of tilt/slide functions has nothing to do with it.

By clear I meant translucent.. as opposed to opaque like a peice of sheetmetal... and there are lexan roofs.

The terms are basically interchangeable, but I almost always hear translucent roofs described as moonroofs and sheetmetal roofs described as sunroofs.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%>[TR][TD]Quote:

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]
08-04-2003 at 09:40, Beaverboy wrote:
The terms are basically interchangeable, but I almost always hear translucent roofs described as moonroofs and sheetmetal roofs described as sunroofs.
[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

this is just what i hear everywhere too, no one´s told me different until now, so i´m just plain confused... :-? i´m gunna go look into getting one installed, then i´l know :)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
From my experience, even a sunroof hinders chassis rigidity in a unibody car. T-tops allow all kinds of flex.. and after a car flexes enough, it begins to flex more, eventually the T-tops are popping out of place when you hit a pothole. :-( I´m just not a big fan of them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts