FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a 1993 Ford Festiva L, 5sp.

I can't seem to get the 3 bolts off that hold the downpipe onto the exhaust manifold. They seem to have seized up over the years. I tried taking them off "dry" this afternoon with no luck. I sprayed PB blaster on it a few minutes ago and I'm planning on trying it tomorrow morning after it soaks in. Any other suggestions? If I have to cut them, how do I do it?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Im sure the bolts are not seize completely cauz these bolts are used with anti-seize liquid...but you have to break the rust seal that as been forming on your bolts for years now.....

trick 1 - soak your bolts as much as possible with PB blaster and wait for 1 day or 2 before trying to unbolt them...put PB blaster regularly...

trick 2 - if you are still unable to remove these bolts...try to heat them with a welding torch ( using propane and argon or oxygen) or with a plumbing torch...(propane only).... it worked for me most of the time...

trick 3 - grind them away...but since there is not much space in the engine bay...using a grinder could be hazardous and you could damage important parts of the engine....

G

·
I'm probably too late on this...
But here's yet another tip...
When dealing with an old weathered exhaust system...Never try to loosen the nut's or bolt's..Tighten them & they break easy.Replace them..all of them.Makes no sence to try to handle them with kit gloves & try to save & reuse them..They always break trying to take them off anyhow...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.