FEOA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay....here is the deal.... my 95 LX has clearcoat peeling around the centers...I asked around on a few other sites...and peopel keep telling me if I want I can remove it myself and replace it my self. I can even " polish" my current rims before I reapply.....has anybody doen this? I was given the suggestion to use the old paint thinner/aircraft adhesive remover method. my question is...can I do this with my rims on my tires? Does this even work? i even was given the crazy idea of using Easy-off oven cleaner? And if it does work...what type of sprayable clearcoat shoudl I use? Basically...help!!! I jsut wnat to know if this works, is it worht the time and effort, and is it safe for my tires? Please give me some suggestions guys!!! My rims look terrible an dI dont´ have the cash to spare on rims.....i´m a starving college student. lol I´m open to ideas....and any advice for or against this will be helpful. I just want my little green car to stay pretty, even if I dont have stacks of green stuff to help with that.

Thanks....any help, comments , or your own experiences wiht this are helpful.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
That puts me in the same boat as you :-o
When I get time this summer (also a college student) I got to do mine as well. I was thinking about using a 4 1/2 in angle grinder with a knotted wire wheel. Between that and a can of acetone, it shouldn´t be too much of a problem I think. Then buff them up real nice. As for refinishing mine, I think that I´ll just leave them polished. I seen a dakota at school with the 6 spoke aluminum rims, he stripped and polished them, and the looked sweet. It looks like he didn´t re-coat them at all. They look like they made it through the winter just fine.

Food for thought ;-)

Matt :cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry didn´t mean to offend you at all!lol
I just meant I dont´ have the cash to drop on a whole new set of rims...
cuz I´m a college kid too

:cool: :-D

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
depending where ya go / what ya like, rims aren´t always uber expensive, especially if you don´t mind not having 18, 19" chromeplated 3 times over kinda deal. my rims that are in my showcase pics cost the same as the tires around them (about $500 Can, $350 US) and darned if they don´t look nice! sure they´re the same size as my stock 7-spoke, but that means i can keep my old rubbers ;-) :-]

though re-finishing/painting stock rims IS significantly cheaper...

·
Registered
120 Posts
just a quick note on rims , you don`t have to go out and buy those real exotic wheels to have a nice look . watch your local Sears ad the auto center sometimes has good deals . I think I paid around $ 240 us for my american racing wheels .I reused my oem tires and saved that way . I will note that I got some extra dressup things for them that boosted the price a bit but still they weren`t a bad buy and I have recieved numerous compliments on them already . I do like the 2nd gen 7 spoke wheel when it`s nicely maintained so good luck on the refinish job . :-D

·
Registered
274 Posts
hey i got 94 gt rims i stripped with air craft coating remover and a wire wheel then painted them white theyre well , look alot better but about 30- 60 minutes a wheel

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am using a product made by Klean Strip called Aircraft Remover on one of my other car´s rims. It works great but you don´t want to breath the fumes or get any on yourself anywhere. It burns badly and can cause serious injury. Definately WARE EYE PROTECTION and stripping gloves.

Use a small paint brush to paint it on then wait and the clear coat will lift off. DO NOT USE A METAL SCRAPER to get the lifted clearcoat off of the rim or you will scratch it.

Available at most automotive stores. Read and follow the instructions if you use this stuff. Its nasty but effective.

[ This message was edited by: EXPIOWA on 21-04-2003 01:59 ]

·
Registered
52 Posts
I mean no disrespect by showing another manufacturers product but I thought this photo would be relevant for this thread. It gives a pretty good idea of what you can do with a little motivation. These photos are of the same rim. All 4 took me about 30 hours to complete but I had no clue what I was doing when I started.

[ This message was edited by: EXPIOWA on 21-04-2003 01:54 ]

·
Registered
874 Posts
Thanks for the before an after pics. Looks nice. I do endorse Aircraft paint remover. It works wonders. Also the post about goggles and protecion, read closley. That stuff will tear your skin apart.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
i am offended by those pictures i never use those horrible products. Im just fuckin with ya looks great they should do a whole how to on the site with this

·
Registered
15,356 Posts
I´ve had uncoated rims before and they are a bitch to clean. If your coating looks crummy and you remove it, is there a way ro recoat it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
You can buy clearcoat in a spray can. It works very well.

The process that I used after getting all of the necessary safety equipment, as previously mentioned, was to use a paint brush to put the Aircraft Remover exactly where I wanted. This takes time because it will begin to strip any coating or paint almost imediately. Do NOT use any metal to scrape the portions of clearcoat that the chemical did not loosen. You will scratch the rims. Reapply the stripper as necessay.

Once the rims are clearcoat free you need to decide if you would like to keep the original machine marks on your rim if it has them. If you would like a perfectly smoothe rim use 230 grit sandpaper if you have scratches or deep gouges that need removed. If not you can proceed directly to 400 grit followed by 600 grit. This sanding should be done wet. If you let the rims dry out they will not look as good.

I wanted to keep the machine lines because it makes the rims glow rather than just be reflective like crome. For the really bad places I had no choice other than sandpaper but followed up with steelwool. I used steelwool on the enitire rim. It cleaned up all of the corrosion but left the lines. Scrub parallel to the machine marks.

At this point you rims will look good but you are not done yet. To really make them shine use a buffing wheel and jewlers rouge to give it a nice polish. This process makes a lot of dust so ware a mask. I wore a respirator like painters ware with filters. It is difficult to remove the execss rouge but when you are finished it looks great.

I followed this process with car cleaner wax but they could have been clear coated at this step instead of the wax. Clearcoat takes some of the shine away but if there is a lot of salt where you live you may want to concider it. I would avoid clear coat around the outer portion of the rim where the wheel weights go do to the fact that this is where the corrosion originally started. A good aluminum polish like Mother´s should do the trick. It is messy and time consuming but the results speak for themselves.

·
Registered
129 Posts
question, do you have to remove clear coat first before sanding or will sanding remove it. i have the seven spoke gt rims and i want to polish them, at least the middle section and the outer lip. i would love to smooth out the bumpy part on the spokes too but i bet thats alot of sanding. just wandering if i have to remove it first or does sanding remove it

·
Registered
52 Posts
You could sand the clear coat off without stripping it. It is really tough stuff to sand and the areas where the clearcoat is missing will get sanded extra deep.

I would recommend the Aircraft Remover. It will save you many headaches during the sanding process. Its only about $10.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts