FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
#1: take it too a shop that is certified to do AC repairs and have it vacuumed down if there is ANY pressure in the system. that refrigerant is nasty for the atmosphere, and you don't want to deal with the side effects of opening a pressurized system.

#1b: ensure that there is NO pressure in the AC system!

#2: drain coolant and remove radiator.

#2b: ensure that there is NO pressure in the AC system!

#3 Unbolt condenser brackets. (front side of upper cross beam, should be just below the upper radiator retaining brackets)

#3b:ensure that there is NO pressure in the AC system!

#4 disconnect refrigerant lines with a spring lock tool. these lines are on the driver side of the condenser, normally, One behind the grill, on right next to the radiator. If there is pressure in the AC system when you disconnect the lines, your going to get a NASTY surprise. Refrigerant, normally R-11/freon and refrigerant oil will spray everywhere, including right at your face, and a face full/ lung full will probably necessitate a visit from emergency medical services. the uncontrolled depressurization of the refrigerant could also cause nasty frostbite, requiring medical treatment. make sure the system is depressurized.

Note: the shop book recommends removing the grill to allow for easier access, I've done the job without removing the grill, but don't recommend it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
One thing to mention is if you have a 91-93 the R12 Freon is expensive so if you are going to replace the system you may want to talk to an AC repair shop to see if they can give you credit for it if you are going to rebuild the system. Otherwise if your car is 94 or newer it uses the R134a refrigerant then still have a shop drain the system down. Either way have a shop do the evacuation of the AC system and when you put the system back together have them first pull a vacuum on the system before refilling it as if there is air in the system it will not pressurize properly and cause further damage. Also if its an R12 system you will have to have a repair shop do the refilling as thats the only place its available. - Peter

·
Registered
107 Posts
marclar said:
u only have a 40% chance of contracting a fatal desease from direct exposure to refrigerant.
Having been the person elected to drive the unfortunate victim of a coolant release event to the hospital, I can definitely say that it sure didn't look like fun. He was working on an exhaust manifold, his wrench slipped and cracked an AC line. He caught most of the refrigerant load (with oil) right in the face.

Everybody that worked there got VERY happy, very quickly, that the boss required safety glasses at all times in the shop.

And the guy that caught it in the face? when I left there six months later, he still hadn't been released for return to work by the doctor.

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,070 Posts
The big question is why are you removing the condenser? If its because it has a hole in it then your system is already depressurized.

What exactly did the doctor say was wrong with that guy? The only things I can think of is the refrigerant can freeze things if released in liquid form. It also can displace the air in your lungs and you could suffocate. If you stay away from it you should be good.

·
Registered
107 Posts
madmatt2024 said:
What exactly did the doctor say was wrong with that guy? The only things I can think of is the refrigerant can freeze things if released in liquid form. It also can displace the air in your lungs and you could suffocate. If you stay away from it you should be good.
Unfortunately for Ramone, He got a face full of refrigerant that resulted in nearly instant frostbite, and a lung full of atomized ester oil.the oil was apparently the big issue.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i managed to change the condensor..but now it seems that the pressure in the system is 100 psi and the compressor will engaged lower the pressure then reengaged in a cycle that makes no sense..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.