FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

While the '90 is down for repairs, waiting on me to throw some spare cash at at it, I've been doing some little things to it that don't cost much. A little bodywork, prep for paint, and the TFI remote location mod.

I decided to use Noall's idea of hollowing out an old TFI unit to route the PIP wires through at the distibutor. (I'll get a pic of that later - it turned out great) I'm going to mount the TFI module to a computer heatsink, then mount the heatsink to (most likely) the shock tower.

So my questions are:

I have a CPU cooling fan attached to the heatsink, and want to wire it into something that gets B+ only with the ignition on. What's the best wire to tap into in the vicinity of the driver's side shock tower? (Yeah, I know, the cooling fan is overkill, but it's just so nerdy that I HAVE to try it.)

Also, how is the whole TFI/PIP assembly grounded? Will relocating the
TFI module negate a needed ground circuit?

And here's some pics :) Just putting down some primer, going with glossy graphite color after it's all primed. (I have dialup too Noall, I feel your pain. Took me 30 minutes just to upload the pics.)

·
Registered
524 Posts
You're not seriously going to use that hood, are you? :eek:

I really wouldn't do the fan thing. It will be absolutely filthy after just a few weeks under the hood. And I doubt the fan bearings will last long in that heat.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hood looks worse than it is. It's not closed in that pic, which is why it looks so jacked up. I can bend it out quite a bit as well. I know its ugly now, but once it is at least all one color it won't look like such a trash-mobile. Both the hood and fender will eventually be replaced, but...time and money. Just want to get a good coat of paint on and do some rustproofing before the winter. Just found a nice pair of 15" aftermarket rims at work with great tires on them, going to see if either of the bolt patterns will work on it.

As for the fan, I think it will be ok. They're meant to handle a little heat and dust anyway. If not, no big deal. I keep my engine compartments clean, too.

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
I might have a spare hood from the parts car :p...it's gold. As for one color, I'm swapping the only good door from my gold car onto the blue one since I have one bad door on the blue one...a good coincidence.

The PIP is self grounded to the distro case, so there's no worry. However, I used a computer grade 3 wire + ground shield power wire. The insulation is rated for 80C, and has lasted thus far, although I question the longevity since I've heard of the TFI hitting 125C at the distro.

Definitely don't do the cooling fan. I thought of it too, but unless it's filtered, and cleaned at least once a week, the fan will fail quickly. Heat alone will destroy the controller IC that's built into them.

I used a K6-2 heatsink, and mounted it to the EGR controller valve bracket, which mounts to the strut tower. I also left plenty of wire to route around. The only thing you'll need to do is open the wiring harness some to split the wires since some go in the wrong direction from where you'll be putting the TFI module.
Also, keep in mind to put enough thermal goop between the TFI and the heatsink..it's essential. Even cheap silicone-based stuff is fine, although I used Arctic Silver Ceramique (high-grade computer stuff).

I'm glad my idea has taken off :p. I also have a spare broken TFI for anyone else who wants me to build them a remote TFI block. I have some of the nice power wire left.

EDIT: As much as I hate the stuff, lead-free solder is recommended in this case since it holds at higher temps than regular 60/40 solder, although I don't know if it's significant since lead-free is junk and never seems to bond properly unless it's on a modern reflow machine. Again, I can build them if so desired.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well....

You want to build me that TFI block? I messed mine up, don't have a spare to do another on. :) And I'm also have a time trying to find some strong heat resistant wire. Maybe trade ya for something? I'm not quite sure if I'd have anything you don't when it comes to these cars, though!

I'm gonna grab some Arctic Silver, for sure. Use it on my PC repairs, it's the bomb.

Send ya a PM about the hood, too. :)

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
Alright, I'll keep my eyes peeled for the PM. Yeah, I have a spare busted up block, and can make one. It'll be about the same as mine...maybe a little better-looking job :p. How much extra wire do you want? Also, if I can't find any extra high temp here I may go with coated, oil and gas resistant stuff.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need enough wire to go from the distro to the EGR mounting plate - basically the same amount you used. My mod will be almost identical to yours, with the exception of the heatsink.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh, ok. The one I pulled from my parts bin didn't seem to have any foil ground shielding or anything though, it just has the regular black plastic/rubber outer core that holds the wires together. Are you talking about the foil-wrapped type?

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
Nope, mine had a bare 4th wire, smaller diameter, that was slowly spiraling around the main 3. I connected it to the head, and then to the heatsink the TFI is mounted to. I don't know if it actually helps, but it can't hurt.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got mine all wired up and mounted. Took a bit of backyard engineering, and it's not super pretty, but it works real well. Can't believe that Ford would put a heat sensitive/heat generating component on the distributor housing!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.