FEOA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my head gasket went, and I began to replace it. Upon pulling the head, I knew I needed to have it machined down. Took the head in and was told it was beyond repair, so I bought a new ( Reconditioned one) with new rocker arms, springs, fulcrums, etc. Got a felpro gasket set. Replaced timing belt and water pump while I was in there. I followed my Haynes book carefully through the whole procedure. I was very meticulous in removing old gasket material. The block did not seem to be out of true. I used a GOOD torque wrench when necessary. When I changed the oil after all the work, a lot came out, but I just assumed a little water got in from backflushing the rad. What are some avenues to consider? I just don't know where to look. There was literally a coolant/oil mixture spewing out the dipstick tube upon getting back from the first quick 1-mile test drive after completion, and like I said, I just changed the oil. It starts and runs immaculately, aside from the aforementioned issue (I thought I had it until I opened the hood) Please help! Before I push this darn thing off a cliff!
-Brownie

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
therieldeal said:
how badly was it overheated that the head was un usable? is it possible that you could have a crack in the block?
The t-stat stuck shut, and overheated her. That's how I ended up with this car. Not sure how bad it was, but in between #2 and #3( on the old head), there was some bad pithing going on. I really didn't notice anything on the block. I never checked the sides on the outside of the block... I was worried about the mating surface more than anything. If I pull this head again, can I re-use the head bolts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EscorGo said:
I was going with the block idea too. No you can't re-use the bolts.
Did you put the headgasket on with the right sides facing the head and block? Compression would be good but water jackets might not be routed correctly.
Yes, I remember trying to put it on both ways. It doesn't line up right when it is flipped. It would be impossible to put it on upside-down... man, at least I hope so! To clarify, the head gasket does not get any sealant, right?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Brownie said:
EscorGo said:
I was going with the block idea too. No you can't re-use the bolts.
Did you put the headgasket on with the right sides facing the head and block? Compression would be good but water jackets might not be routed correctly.
Yes, I remember trying to put it on both ways. It doesn't line up right when it is flipped. It would be impossible to put it on upside-down... man, at least I hope so! To clarify, the head gasket does not get any sealant, right?
Right - no sealant. But you did follow the crazy torque procedure for stretch bolts right? It's not just a matter of torque pattern and torque settings.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I absolutely followed the torque procedure. #'s 1-10 in order, then backed them off 1/2 turn, then back a half turn, I don"t remember exactly how it went, but I did follow it exactly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GregF422 said:
Did you check the top of the block for true? You said it didn't 'look' out of true. I assume you measured it and not just eyeballed, right?
Yes, I did take a straightedge and feeler gauge. Only problem was my feeler gauge was rusty, and I'm sure that made it a little thicker. This is the first time I have torn into an engine, and I really appreciate all the help. I guess I'm pulling the head back out. What can I expect to have to deal with to replace the block? How much? I've dumped close to a grand on this car already, and I'm not sure how much more it's worth. I'm kinda in too deep now, though... :?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.