FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 94 ELX has about 192,000 on it, and I hearing a rhythmic noise coming from the reear of the vehicle. I suppose it could be tire noise, but I'm also considering wheel bearings. Has anyone any experience with this? If so...is it a difficult chore?

Thanks!

Shadow. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
on my GT the rear bearings were sealed and only came with the hub...they were not terribly expensive and fairly easy to replace...I am not able to recall much about the LX ones right off the top of my head....but I am for some reason thinking they are not sealed bearings.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wheel bearings can cause a wide variety of noises and feels. Most likely, the type of bearing that we have on the rear of our vehicels is a tapered roller bearing. These are adjustable and separable. Most LX models came with rear drum brakes. You have to remove the dust cover, cotter pin, spindle nut, tab washer, and outer bearing. Then remove the drum. To remove the inner bearing and seal, use a puller or some other way. All the seals should be replaced. Put everything back on the way it came off and make sure to pack all of the bearing with a good amount of grease, but not too much or you could end up getting some on the shoes and cause a brake problem. It might also help if you described the noise a little bit better.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Yeah you can just replace the bearings in the rear of and LX but I just did the whole spindle as well. Less to worry about but it does add to the cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts