FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post. Came home yesterday from work and started hearing the infamous clunk from the right rear. I took the cover off to find the rear strut mount rusted through. Can I fix this with a plate welded in ? Or should I chhose a different option. I did some searches on this forum, and couldn't find any similar repair problems that I have. Any feedback is very appreciated. Its a 1993 LX with 155k.
[/img]

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Buy a new one? I don't think they're that expensive....

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Just replace the rear strut mounts and clean up the rust around the towers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After tearing it apart, I found that only the strut mount was bad, plus the spring was broke off at the top. I'm picking up a whole new assembly up tomorrow. Thanks for the replys, KH.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If you can you should really replace the other side along with it. If ones that bad the other probably isn't far behind.

·
Registered
61 Posts
thats nothing...the strut tower itself is rusted in a crest around the top and u can see the mount right through it. i just suggest cleaning up the inside of that tower like crazy when u take the strut off...either throw some anti rust paint or some kinda undercoating to prevent it from getting worse or atleast slow it down

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know this is an old post but I might as well chime in. That just happened to me (the dreaded strut eruption). There's no real cost-effective fix, is there? Like ciento said, finding another one is relatively cheap as compared to hours and hours of structural rust fixing/welding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.