FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After dealing with some twitchiness in my suspension setup, I pulled out the rear interior trim, carpeting, EVERYTHING in the back. Checked all mounts, strut mounts, bushings, etc etc. Though I expected to find some worn items, none showed any deterioration other than that due to age. While everything was ripped out, I fabricated a rear strut tower brace out of a couple of pieces of angle iron, welded in to triangulate for strength, and then sprayed the bare metal floorpan and sidewalls with rubberized undercoating to prevent rust/sound proof. Cut interior trim side pieces to clear the brace without looking ugly. As of now, if I remove the rear cargo cover, all that's visible is a metal brace running just behind the rear seats from side to side, entering the side trim via 1" holes. Still very functional from a cargo perspective.

My initial driving impressions are that this thing really works. It's not noticeable in the straight line, or steady cornering. But in an un-even corner, or on parking lot entrance/exit ramps, the effect is pronounced. The car is quite rigid and no longer creaks when moving between two differently angled pieces of pavement. This also translates into flatter cornering when moving at speed in a bumpy corner. I'm quite impressed.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Weight loss makes a big difference. The rear of my car is gutted while the rustproofing spray dries and cures. Removed the interior trim, carpeting, sub box, seats, etc.

Actually out-accelerated a Grand Am GT V6 the other day. Dunno how powerful these cars are or if they take off well. But we were both at the light and both gunned it and I just kept pulling away. Was happy! Shame that I'll have to reinstall everything once it dries. I like having no weight back there.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Just a heads up. If you want to autocross in SCCA sanctioned events.. welding braces onto the body puts you into the mod classes (with engine swaps, race suspensions, sky's the limit). To qualify for FSP or STS you can only bolt in braces. Something to consider were you to market them.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I welded the brace, but only to itself for reinforcement. It bolts into the rear strut towers. Also working on a bottom mount to tie into the floorpan.

It's not elegant by any means, but is functional.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish I had pictures. Not good at keeping up with it. My pics in the showcase are over a year old. I took 'updated' pictures about 3 months ago but haven't developed them yet. So might be a while before I get the bar photographed. Really need to just spend the time for a good detail and photo shoot. And then make SURE I developed the pictures...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.