FEOA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I tried the search function but it didn't seem to work to well.

I'm doing a clutch on a friends 1993 wagon 1.9L. I almost have the tranny out. The rear seal is leaking very badly. The manual has some tool for removal and another special tool to install the seal.

Can I just pry it out and tap a new one back in?? Any advice would be great!!:D

Thanks, Tom

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
Same here.
Remove the plate it's pressed in, pry it out with flat head (yeah dont wreck any thing) then press new one in with a block of wood on both sides in a vice, or some times I'll set the old seal over the top of the new one and hit it in with a hammer.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Rear Main Seal

I changed mine when I had my trans out without taking off the deal that it is in. That would involve the oil pan gasket so I steered around messing with that. I first very carefully drilled a tiny hole in the seal near the edge and then screwed in a drywall -type screw. Then I used a small prybar-like tool (like you would use to take wood moldings off in a house or take tacks out with ) and pried it right out. It came out so easily I was amazed. I then lubed up and tapped the new one in.
After all the B.S. I used to go through in yesteryear changing the old two-piece seals they put on old 2300s I could hardly believe it.
I would have to stress here , though, that you must be VERY, VERY, VERY, EXTREMELY CAREFUL and NOT hurt the end of the crank in any way or else you may scratch the surface and then your new seal may not last very long.
I only had to drill and pry on one side, that was all mine needed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply's!! I have been gone and just now got the tranny out.

So I see the plate... is the seal in the plate? Or?

Felpro has one kit with a seal and what looks like 2 gaskets.
They have another one with 3 gaskets....the 3rd gasket which is the top big one in the link below looks like it goes behind the plate.
Heres a pic with all 3...none look like the oil pan end seals?
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/product_ima ... s40646.jpg

If I remove the plate do the oil pan end seals have to be replaced? It looks like the end of the oil pan goes around the plate...so did all of you except DangerRanger remove the plate? Any thing I should know if I remove the plate that you can think of?

Or should I not remove the plate and try to get it out?

Also, any advice on getting the pilot bearing for the tranny input shaft out?

·
Registered
107 Posts
In the pic that you posted, the circle is the rear main seal. as DangerRanger said, it's pretty easy to remove, just be sure and apply a light coat of oil before you install it, gently tabbing it in with a piece of wood (like a chunk of 2x4) and a rubber mallet.

Here's a pic of My 1.9 right before I removed the rear main seal, the seal is the RING around the crankshaft end. (crappy cellphone pic, sorry)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
O.K. Thanks. I just pried out the old seal. Drilled a hole with a screw and it worked great!

What I was asking was if you remove the whole plate. The pic I posted with the gaskets didn't include the end oil pan seal. The plate goes against the oil pan. I didn't want to disturb it. I hope it sealed o.k.!

Thanks Guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts