FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!! I have the stock spoiler w/brake light on my GT and the hardware that joins the spoiler and trunk, on the left and right side, has apparently worn out or broken off. Has anyone ever had this problem?

It usually doesn't make a whole lot of noise, but when the wind is blowing on a day like today, 25mph-30mph, it just annoys the crap out of me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Mine rattles quite audibly too, but mainly due to my 12" woofer pounding the junk out of my trunk. Last I looked at the connecting pieces, I couldn't figure out how to tighten it, since it looked like it was just a few plastic clamps and nothing I could tighten. I didn't really try to do anything about it then, though, just a quick look. I plan to tighten it once and for all once the weather gets warms enough to work on it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Haha my spoiler on my 95 LX rattles, but only due to my 12"sub bumpin in the back, i swear its gonna rattle it off someday, wish there was some way to get it to be smoother.... it soundbs so much cleaner when ya hold it down!..LoL

Laci

·
BYO Plastic cutlery
9,869 Posts
I have done this fix. The middle if of course screwed via the brake light and is not loose. but you need to remove the whole wing anyway, so remove the brake light from its housing and remove the screws inside that hold the wing to the deck. At least I think it's screwed there. I might be remembering wrong. Anyway the problem is the 4 outer fasteners(2 on each side) that are loose. The holes in the deck are square, about 3/8" across, and there is a pin on the wing that goes down into a plastic snap fastener in the hole. the pin has a profile that widens the fastener when it is in, and so the fastener grips the deck. The fastener wears out over time, and that is the main cause of the rattling. Also, the padding under the wing's feet wears and gets thin, and might have been adhesive at one time, I can't be sure, but if it was adhesive it won't be now and that would be a problem. So I bought new fasteners from the dealer and put new molding tape on the feet. To be honest I figure it was not all that tight from the factory, because even after the fix, although improved, it still had a little play. To get the wing off you pry it with a wide screwdriver being careful of the finish, and that will likely destroy the fasteners but that's OK since you're getting new ones. I think they were a little pricey too IIRC. Hope it helps :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.