FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I love my 1991 hatchback beyond all common sense.
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, during the VSS adventure today, I came across a cable (black, about 3/8 inch thick), with a metal stud on the end of it. It wasn't connected to anything (at least I don't recall knocking it loose), and I did not see anything to plug it into. It was pretty close the the area where the VSS is...

Any idea what this thing is or does? Do I need it?

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Are you sure it's a cable? It looks like a hose.

I bet ya that's one of the fuel vapour lines that are part of the EVAP system. Did you trace it to anything?

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't try to trace it or anything. There is a tangle of hoses and junk taped together in there. I just noticed it when we were replacing the VSS today.

Maybe I'll get in there tomorrow and see if I can find a hole for it. So frustrating.

The vapor lines are just for emissions though, right? Cycles air to the exhaust?

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Yeah, they're for emissions purposes, but depending on which line is plugged, it may be allowing excess pressure to be built up in the tank.

Basically what that system does is pull vapours from the tank into a canister full of activated charcoal (located near the LH fender well) and periodically pulls them into the intake charge via a vacuum hose to the bottom of the throttle body. This keeps the fumes from being vented to atmosphere.

·
Registered
90 Posts
the hose circled, right next to your autotranny dipstick is the same one I asked about last week. I was told that it is a vent hose for the tranny. That metal piece at the top I mistook for a screw stuck in to plug it off is actually the factory peice for that hose.

I am new here, am not always sure about some things but what I see circled there is exactly the same item on my 1.9L w/ Auto.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I was wondering what that was and I have narrowed it down to two different things: 1. Vent for the automatic or 2. Fluid fill for the differential. Either way, it's supposed to look just like that. Nothing wrong there.

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, guys. I'm trying to bring my baby Nelson back from the dead... glad to know I can mark the mystery hose off the lengthy list of potential issues. =)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.