FEOA Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm screamin' up 222, coming home from a 12 hour shift, when all of a sudden, the tach and speedo start sweeping to the left in sync with each other. I give it more gas, STILL decelerating. I figure possible electrical, so I shut it off (smart to do at 80+ MPH???), but it won't restart. I coast off to the side of the road, and there it sits.

Timing belt intact, car cranks (sorta), got fuel, etc...

So I try to restart...clutch feels like a rock. It cranks, then stops. I crawl underneath to have a look-see. Looks like the damn clutch release fork has removed itself from the bearing. So, I'm gonna get it towed back here. I won't be able to look at it until Thursday night, which irkes me to no end.

Man, what a perfect ending to a perfect day...........

NOT!!!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
thank god it wasn't your head..

so i can still buy mine from you. :)

let us know when you figure out what the problem is, i'm curious. Any funny noises? Is the clutch engaged or disengaged? What do you mean it "kinda" cranks?

edit - how's the new avatar? everyone loved it so much, i cropped it out larger..

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
bpletch1 said:
UPDATE:

Removed the inspection cover from the oil pan...guess what I found.
The clutch DISINTEGRATED!!!! Now, to find out what caused it....
How old was the clutch? Mine exploded in November 01 after i bought the car...i have no clue how old the clutch was, but it just POPPED and then it felt like it was grabbing maybe 10%...that was scary. Maybe you just need to stop revving out to 6900 rpm and dropping the clutch :p

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
James,

I installed the clutch with the engine swap a few months and 6,000 miles ago. I used a Centerforce Dual Friction, but it is completely and totally shredded. I think I may have had a catastrophic tranny failure that caused all the damage. Even with the engine off (which is it's ONLY state right now) I can't move the shifter into ANY gear.

And, no, I don't drop the clutch at 6900 RPM. As a matter of fact, I don't even rev and dump. For the most part, it's been babied more in the last 6K than the previous 175K.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sounds like you need a tranny! Mine did that going into 5th but i had big holes in the side of my tranny. I got my tranny at Harrys U-pull it for 31 bucks! Works great! If need any help just pm or call me 610 207 9398.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone know a good shop to rebuild a tranny? Something a little stronger would be good, what with all my upgrades and such.

I remember someone here talking about some performance upgraded tranny a few months ago...anyone?...anyone?...

Another option, is there a different kind of tranny that would bolt up to the 1.8?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
update:

the clutch is blown apart ($300), the flywheel is destroyed ($450) and there is a hole in the front of the tranny ($400+++?) (+ labor $$)

So, rebuild this beyatch or get a new car?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.