FEOA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 1.9L and I noticed the radiator fan hasn't been running and when stopped it causes the engine to overhead. I pulled the fan and shroud and it seems to work (ran positive to positive and middle prong and then grounded the ground prong and the fan moved). I checked the fuse in the engine bay and fuse in the cabin of the car and both seem fine.

The fan never turns on, even when the AC is on. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to find out what the problem is?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just looked at the main relay under the fuse box and the high/low temp relays and they both look perfectly fine.

Does anybody have a picture of where the coolant temperature sensor is or explain how to pull it out and test it?

Is there a way to test whether it is a bad relay or a bad temp sensor?

·
Registered
107 Posts
IBAUCLAPlaya said:
I have a 1995 1.9L and I noticed the radiator fan hasn't been running and when stopped it causes the engine to overhead. I pulled the fan and shroud and it seems to work (ran positive to positive and middle prong and then grounded the ground prong and the fan moved). I checked the fuse in the engine bay and fuse in the cabin of the car and both seem fine.

The fan never turns on, even when the AC is on. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to find out what the problem is?

Thanks,
Matt
Check that the chassis side of the wiring harness has a good ground and good + voltage when the AC is on, if that's good, replace the fan. if it's bad, swap the relays out with KNOWN good ones or have the current set tested.

If the relays are good but no voltage at the connector, check for broken wires or shorts between the relays and the fan connector.

All of the above can be done with a decent multimeter.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Search is your friend

This issue has been covered in at least 3 threads recently.
http://www.feoa.net/modules.php?name=Fo ... ic&t=35441
This has a great deal of info and includes some good troubleshooting techniques.

I am usually the last to call for a search as I have had several occasions where my search yielded 3 years of posts that say "do a search" and 2 days later after looking at 130 threads with 1467 posts I find a nugget that answers my question.

Bruce

1 - 7 of 7 Posts