FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put back the shifter from underneath the car and I pushed it in. I'm not sure if the shifter is in all the way. I pushed it really hard and I see a slight gap from under the base. How do I know if the shifter is all the way in? What holds it in place? I just don't want the shifter to fall down later on. Here are a few pics of the shifter.

Does the shifter need to be pushed up more over the boot?

There is a slight gap under the shifter base.

· Registered
925 Posts
Yeah that's not right/tight. It looks like you're half way to the infamous, "my shifter just fell through the floor" question. It should be a nice tight fit to the tunnel WITHOUT the gap. As in...one piece 8O ;)

· Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do I make it tight? I have been pushing the shifter from underneath and it won't stay in place. I tried pulling on the shifter from inside and still it is the same.

· Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Under the grommet on both sides I notice there are 2 tabs. Is there supposed to be a big snap ring in there? Or are the tabs supposed to be pushed under the groove of the shifter? When I removed the shifter there was no snap ring in there. Can anyone tell me if there is supposed to be a snap ring in there? Or do the tabs get pushed under the groove of the shifter?

· Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called the Ford parts guy, and pulled up a diagram from his computer and told there is no snap ring in there. I don't understand what holds the shifter in place? I'm guessing the 2 tabs in the side need to be pushed down? IS that correct? Can anyone tell me how does the shifter stay in place?

· Registered
925 Posts
OK...let me try this again.

The Ford part # for the NEW piece that you need is (7L257) and is the piece that is broken in the pictures that you listed. There is not supposed to be a "gap" there. It is designed to be a single (or welded/stamped out) piece with no option for a gap. The reason that yours has the gap is that it has rusted out/through and won't hold the shift lever up into place.

I have the Ford Factory parts printout in front of me and there appears to be a locking ring as the last piece (part # 7227) that holds the rest of the pieces in place, fron the top side.

Also, there is a plate (part # 7D358) that is supposed to go on BEFORE the washers and nuts, on the inside of the car. In your pictures...I don't see that plate.

If I had a scanner...I'd include the parts fiche that I'm looking at. :x

Also looking back at your pictures, it appears that you are missing at least 2 pieces (#7227, #7E138) this combo is what holds the shifter tight.

· Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dave8338 said:
OK...let me try this again.

The Ford part # for the NEW piece that you need is (7L257) and is the piece that is broken in the pictures that you listed. There is not supposed to be a "gap" there. It is designed to be a single (or welded/stamped out) piece with no option for a gap. The reason that yours has the gap is that it has rusted out/through and won't hold the shift lever up into place.

I have the Ford Factory parts printout in front of me and there appears to be a locking ring as the last piece (part # 7227) that holds the rest of the pieces in place, fron the top side.

Also, there is a plate (part # 7D358) that is supposed to go on BEFORE the washers and nuts, on the inside of the car. In your pictures...I don't see that plate.

If I had a scanner...I'd include the parts fiche that I'm looking at. :x

Also looking back at your pictures, it appears that you are missing at least 2 pieces (#7227, #7E138) this combo is what holds the shifter tight.
I called ford and the 7L257 part is the gear shifter level support. The price is $185, and there is only one in Detroit. The 7227 & 7D358 is discontinued from Ford. I guess I have to look at some junk yards to find these parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.