FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is what I noticed the other day when I put back on all the stock parts like the airbox and the stock airfilter. I did not put the resonator thing back on but i did block the hole.

In my opinion in the gt´s when you replace the stock airbox with a performance airfilter you are loosing horsepower and trotlle reponse.

Take your performance air filter off and put it stock you´ll see what i mean. I know you guy already know this but the stock air system is better than just putting a new airfilter and sitting it in the airbox.

I hope you all understand what I mean because i really did notice a difference.

What do you guys think? what this mod really worth it? I think not. Stock is better unless you do a hole new airbox for the performance airfilter.

·
Registered
802 Posts
:O i noticed the exact same thing!!!!!!!!!!!! i think it feels like u loose it in the low end cuz it helps the high end that much better.. maybe not, i would like some real facts to tell me to put my old one back on?

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
although I´ve never had an aftermarket ´performance´ filter, I´m fairly sure that you will lose something in the bottom end. it sucks in too much air. When I took my silencer off I noticed it got louder (duh) then I took out the tube underneath my air filter and now it freakin screams. Any 1.8 that I own will have these two tubes ripped out. It´s giving me better mileage anyway. 21+ on my POS instead of 15-19 mpg. :-o

·
Registered
911 Posts
hmm....i might try that...i wonder why they put those tubes on in the first place....could anything bad come from having them off?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
James, your talking about the tube that goes in the resonator right? I took it off to and I sealed the hole but to all of you who are thinking of putting a k&n, DONT, only if you will build a custom box for your airfilter because the stock air system in the 1.8 is pretty good. I dont know much but I did notice that my car idle better, better throttle response but I did like that sporty sound.

Anyway, I should test it on the 1/4 mile but I don´t think i´ll be putting a aftermarket airfilter anytime soon.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
The silencer. that sits on top of the radiator, take it off, you don´t need it. and the tube that the bottom of the intake box kinda ´plugs´ into. you don´t NEEd that either. then you can drill out the bottom of your air box to have a ´cone filter´ effect without it being TOO open, causeing you to lose the already crappy low end of the 1.8. ;-)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Well I threw on an RX-7 non-turbo VAF, and K&N FIPK kit, then made a CAI setup for the whole thing and adjusted the bypass air, and a/f at idle and I have noticed that I lost a little pull in the low end, but the top end is way better. More power all over at 4700+ rpms, and it pulls past 5900rpm without starving out.

I do miss my low end, so I often run the car up at around 2600rpm or so, even when I´m crusing through town, just because I like the extra oomph.

However, this is the strange thing.

I´ve tested this out, painfully and methodically, and running my GT at LOW rpms with wider throttle positions uses significantly MORE gasoline than running it at HIGHER rpms at lower throttle positions. Don´t ask why, but I got about 27mpg at low rpms and about 34 at the higher rpms.

Besides, the car is much more responsive at higher rpms, which is nice.

·
Registered
709 Posts
siragan - I will agree with you on the fuel economy. I found the same thing. I suspect the zx2 would be the same but the gearing just doesn´t allow for it. My gt got its best mileage at 75-80 mph on the interstate. If i went slower i used more gas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts