FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to pull the motor out of the car with an engine hoist? Do you run straps around the motor or are there lifting points on the motor?

Haynes manual says something about lifting points but does not show where they are?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Tracer-X (Aaron) might have a pic of the points you'll want to hook on to. Basically there is one on the back right corner of the motor and one on the front left corner. They may or may not be there though. If not you just need to find a bolt that will screw into the holes and hook the engine hoist chain up to that.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
yep^^ luckily one of teh 2 cars we were swaping for my buddys 91gt had them, so we used those. umm use a nice sturdy chain, we lifted teh engine and tranny at teh same time.. piece of cake... just take your time and dont drop it. it makes it easy if u remove the bumper and everyting else you can, to avoid scarthage and such.
-Justin

·
Registered
301 Posts
You need strong safety chain. Safety chain is the type that has the thick weld in the middle of it. When you unbolt the tranny, use one of the bolts there to hold the chain. Place a jack under the engine and a piece of wood in between the jack and oil pan and lift to support the engine. Remove the front mount from the engine letting it's weight be supported by the jack and use the mouting bolts to hold the chain to the front. Do not lift the engine with the jack, just support it. The idea is to control the weight of the engine so it doesn't crash down when you remove the front mount. Once the Chain is in place, you can also slowly lower the jack and make sure the hoist will hold the weight.

While not absolutely essential to do, if you're pressed for room, remove the hood from the car and lay it somewhere safe. This frees up more room to work with and makes it easier to pull the engine.

If you're going to be disassembling the engine that your removing. remove your manifolds, your valve cover and your head. You can also use the head bolts to lift from. The first way's safer, but it also makes an easier lift if all you need to worry about is the block.

I did mine the ghetto way, I have a gravel driveway and the car was down, I put straps on it and lowered it to the ground after undoing the mounts. Then I jacked the car up and dragged it out from underneath. Not exactly the best way to salvage an engine, but you do what you need to; whatever gets the job done safely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.