FEOA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me for asking, but I didn't see any posts on this and my particle physics is a bit rusty. Has anyone tried propane injection on these engines? I know of people who do it to diesels and there are kits for them. But what about on normal fueled vehicles? What would be the result? Damage or a fun time?

If no one has tried then I may need to experiment...Any added volatile chemical will boost HP, but do you think the temp change would damage the engine?

Just curious as all hell...

Happy motoring...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand the "craze" for using propane injection in diesel, but I have also found interesting articles on water/propane hybrids either run separately or mixed with gas. All used on gas engines. Diesels use propane to increase stoichiometry or to take up cold air before compression and increase BTUs . So if used in a blower or turbo, (to increase O2 supply); you could theoretically raise octane.

I was more curious as if anyone had tried. I have a few lawnmowers for experimentation and think I will try on a small scale first. I need to dig out the college physics books too...LOL.

I know I need to think about knock, but I'll let you know if I can get anything out of it, or blow up a few test engines.

Happy motoring, and thanks...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, the mysteries of experimentation...Some are working on it and I think I may join the field.

The theory can only be tested in a pressurized system as LP displaces O2. This also wouldn't be an ON all the time system. Mainly a boosting coupled with a turbo for a cheaper than nitro additive/alternative.

I know of a guy who runs a 454 on LP (no mix just straight) and gets fuel economy like a 2.0L...I may go for a full conversion, but first I want to see if it can act as a boost like nitro. LP is 100 to 110 octane.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
intake manifold flashback is a big concern.

propane cannot be flowed adequately through electronic injectors, instead you use a mixing bowl device that adds the propane proportionally to the amount of air being consumed by the motor.

the mixer would get in the way on a fuel injected gas motor and severely kinder intake manifold performance.

the propane does mix very well with air and you can get away with all sorts of crazy IM designs as you dont need to take fuel atomization into design consideration when you are running straight propane.

I used a little mixer device when I tried to power my lawnmower with HHO. Unofrtuneatly my weak ass design could only get a few putts of the mower before consuming all the available HHO and since I couldnt make enough on the fly to keep er running it turned out to be a fun waste of time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
True but I am already working on a volumetric formula to suppress O2 savaging through forced induction using multiple electronic turbos. Thus eliminating loss of O2 and boosting cylinder pressure along with a new fuel formula. My main question was if anyone had tried it before...

I assume not and that makes me happy as I may have an idea that won't be produced before I get it working.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
electronic turbo ala thomas kinght style or ala new anti lag style electronic turbo?

either way you are gonna drain the battery after 10 seconds of boost unless you add some serious batteries in the trunk.

think about it like this, on a 200HP engine there is ~66HP worth of exhaust gas energy to spool a turbocharger. Now how much of a drain on a battery do you think it would take to spook a turbo to realistic boost making speeds?

do some searching there is lots of info on google about this stuff.

sounds like an interesting design you are going for, post up some more info/ideas!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
ya so 1hp = 735.xx watts

so to spool a turbo you are going to need some serious wattage to get her up to 150,000rpm (well desired rpm will of course vary with desired boost pressure and turbo characteristics) Now gearing will help with this of course but the drain on the charging system is still considerable.

this is why knight used some serious batteries mounted in the trunk which adds alot of weight and I am pretty sure he only got 10-20 seconds of boost before having to recharge the entire system. now he did have an upgraded alternator and charging system but im pretty sure it still took an hour of puttering around.

post up some more info on what you are trying to do :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In CFM measurement, I need to overcome a 33% differential in pressure versus gasoline. But I am not looking for a dedicated LP engine. More of a boost mixture. So compression need not be as high as a normal turbo application. I don't need extra psi/O2...I need to overcome the volumetric difference in O2 while using both fuels...Perhaps a belt driven unit coupled with a regulated feed-gate, the electrical units do use, (waste) a lot of energy.

Back to the physics

1 - 12 of 12 Posts