FEOA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay all, here's the deal. My wife and I were out today and decided to get some fast food. While we were in the drive-through line, I noticed that the engine temp was WAY up and the engine started to smoke (antifreeze). This just happened pretty suddenly and hasn't been giving us any other problems.

In other words, the car suddenly started overheating when sitting still with the AC on. With the AC off, the temp stays pretty solid wherever it is. As soon as we start moving, the temp drops dramatically, as in within a few seconds it's back down to normal.

What I'm looking for is problems it could possibly be. Tomorrow I'm going to check the coolant, thermostat, and the fan at the radiator. Am I missing anything? Anybody have any more suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
On your accord, is the AC compressor and the waterpump pulleys on the same belt? If so, when the AC clutch kicks in, it may be screwing up the belt to the waterpump and thus not pumping water through the system at all. That's my best guess.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
One more thing...
when you have this problem, briefly pinch and then release the upper rad hose. This is to check to see if fluid is even flowing at all. You should hear a surge of water through the hose if it's flowing correctly.

Do this with the AC off and on and see if it's running through in both cases.

·
Registered
15,581 Posts
Your fan is supposed to come on whenever your A/C is on, irregardless of engine temperature. It's not. Just idle the car with the hood open and turn on and off your A/C and see if the fan turns on and off.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I checked the coolant level, and the tank was pretty much bone dry, as was the inside of the radiator. I'm going to check the drain plug and hoses and what not as soon as my wife get's out of the shower.

Edit: There are two radiator fans, and only one of them runs when the AC is turned on, problem or not?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm sorry to say the headgasket but...
Have you changed the oil yourself since you bought it? Take a look at the oil. If its really ugly (lighter brown than dirty oil) that's bad news. If it looks normal it COULD still be a bad headgasket. I had an old Plymouth Reliant that I nursed around for two years with a bad head gasket and the oil looked fine.
You can borrow a compression tester from AutoZone. You might also try a cooling system pressurization tester (I'm not sure about exactly what it's called) from AZ too.

As for your fannage, my old Mopar minivan had the radiator and a fan on the driver's side and the A/C condensor with a separate fan on the passenger side. Check that out.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Replace the thermostat. Also call your local Honda dealer and ask them how many fans should come on when the AC is turned on. Make sure the fan is pulling alot of air and the fan is running at full speed.

My sisters's SHO was doing the same thing. The fan was working, but was worn out. it did not move enough air to properly cool the coolent causing heat build-up.

Tom

·
Registered
110 Posts

I doubt it's a headgasket. If the headgasket blew, you'd be blowin antifreeze smoke out of your exaust. The antifreeze could also mix with your oil and turn it kind of a frothy brown. Try not to overheat it, or else it could blow the headgasket.

btw, I replaced the headgasket on a '91 merc. sable. Not an easy job.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WEll, after refilling the Coolant the car seems to be doing fine. I'm going to keep an eye on the car for a while and see if I can find any leaks and what not. I odn't know why it was out of coolant, that's wierd.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions, and it may still be one of those things (I hope not), so I may be back, I may not, who knows. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.