FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all i have an 91 ecort wagon every so afton it will not shift out of 1st gear it doser not happend all the time and if when it happends if i pull over and restart the car its fine i was wondering if anyone has an idea what it could be? i was thinking something with the computer im not sure thanks for the help eveyone.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Beaverboy said:
Manual or Auto?
Ditto /\

I'm guessing it's an auto. in which case, I can't help you because i know very little. but if it's a manual it's probably a synchronizer.

Edit...Mods you might wanna edit the name of the thread itself...he missed the F..

haha

It's even censored in the title after you open the thread.

·
Registered
820 Posts
"Sounds" like the MLP (ELECTRONIC GEAR RANGE SELECTOR)Thats the small box on top of the tranny close to the radiator.Unplug it and see if there is corrosion in the plug.If there is ,clean the contacts and try again.If not,most likely your gonna have to have your tranny diagnosed.When this unit starts crapping out,It sees a different gear than what you really are in(ie:Your shifter is in low but the sensor is reading o/d.)It confuses everything and one the results could be your problem.Now don't go changing any parts without confirming.It could also be a bad ground or Ignition switch.But start by looking at the plug.Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.