FEOA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed power windows in my 91 GT a while back and they've been working pretty much flawlessly ever since (despite the 4 window switch I have because the guy that gave me the parts tore them out of a 4dr lx, I have power lock actuators, and am thinking about wiring the other switches to the door locks somehow...or I could not be ghetto and do the wiring myself *g* </hijack>). My question is how fast do those windows usually move, mine seem to go rather slowly when compared to my dads 89 f-250. Is there anything I can do to speed them up? Or are they just slow?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, here's an update to a 3 year old post :)

I was messing around with my speakers last night and decided to look more into why the windows are so slow. The first thing I noticed is if I grab the window I can rock it back and forth (from rear to front). It's more noticable when the window is part way down as I can literally move it back and forth rather freely. With the door panel off I reached in and grabbed a hold of the front track for the window and held it while pulling back. I reached up with my other hand and voila, no more rocking. As soon as I let go, however, the window goes back to being loose again. I tried bending it into place, but haven't really had any luck on that, any ideas?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
yes they are unbearably slow i put some in my egt earlier this summer. im pretty sure you can get the track/motor from a 3rd gen since the plug is the same and the bolts for the tracks lines up. im sure they are much quicker

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Is there any confirmation that the third gens have a faster pw motor and is interchangable? The auto parts stores here don't carry them in stock.
Bill.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Heh, i sort of have the same problem... and i have a 4dr... lol. Try putting up all 4 at once... or all 4 down at once for that matter == REAL slow lol

Did you say you had a 4dr switch? (With all the buttons??) - I been looking for one for awhile. And if you have only 2 doors, i'll give you mine for yours. It only has 3 switches, other one is just, kind of not there lol.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I installed them into my 94 lx and here is the deal.

Some days they are nice in fast, not really fast but it works for me (2 Door scort)

Other days, esp when it is raining or it is cold, slow as hell. Sometimes I have to help it up. It will move fast at the beginning and right before its all the way up. I think it has to do something with the track.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
most of these are slow because the motors are over 10 years old!!!

mt drivers front window is kinda slow... but my 2 rears (which have almost never been used ever in 12 yrs) are super fast...

so my money is on worn brushes in the ancient arse old motors in our doors.

i did hear however that 3rd gen motors move faster... which may only be because theyre much newer.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mine work real good when its warm
They work like shit when its cold

I swear it has to do with the track. I didnt have time to lube in this weekend but some lithium grease shouldnt hurt.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I swear I'll post the how-to on this one of these days.
The 3rd gen front motors operate on a cable system, maybe they are the same speed when new, but over time all motors lose their shite. The big issue with the 2nd gen front motors is that the plastic ball mechanism just sux arse. I have swapped the 3rd gens into my LTS and finally had an operating DS window at all times, now the darn switch is shorting, but np, when I have the time I'm swapping out the door panels and replacing the stock switches with a different model switch (not going into a lot of details b/c I'm still working out the glitches on this).
IIRC, it took me about an hour to do both front doors start to finish.
Oh, btw, the rear doors are all the same 2nd-3rd gen and operate off of a direct gear.
HTH, Bill.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
billzie said:
I swear I'll post the how-to on this one of these days.
The 3rd gen front motors operate on a cable system, maybe they are the same speed when new, but over time all motors lose their ****. The big issue with the 2nd gen front motors is that the plastic ball mechanism just sux arse. I have swapped the 3rd gens into my LTS and finally had an operating DS window at all times, now the darn switch is shorting, but np, when I have the time I'm swapping out the door panels and replacing the stock switches with a different model switch (not going into a lot of details b/c I'm still working out the glitches on this).
IIRC, it took me about an hour to do both front doors start to finish.
Oh, btw, the rear doors are all the same 2nd-3rd gen and operate off of a direct gear.
HTH, Bill.
http://www.feoa.net/modules.php?name=Fo ... highlight=

There you go, Bill.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts