FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 lx with 167,000 miles on it. Whenever I turn the steering wheel all the way to either side, when sitting in the driveway, I get a burb/fart noise(from the car) in the area of the rack unit :?. I just replaced outer tie rod ends and ball joints and this seemed to make the noise louder than before. :?: Help! Is my rack dead/dying or is there some air in the lines? Also my car feels kinda sluggish when I make left turns. Like its steering "rate" is slower. Thanks

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Mine does exactly the same only on full lock. Took it into the garage and had the p.s. belt replaced. Still does it - I just don't use full lock!! The garage checked out everything else and found nothing amiss.

...........................................................................................................
Copied from separate thread on same subject:

robertregehr

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:30 pm Post subject: Power steering problems
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I forgot to add... Help! Is my rack dead/dying or is there some air in the lines? Also my car feels kinda sluggish when I make left turns. Like its steering "rate" is slower. Thanks
...........................................................................................................

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
robertregehr said:
I get a burb/fart noise(from the car) in the area of the rack unit :?.
Define Fart a little better.

Whenever you bottom out your steering in either direction, you will hear a whining or hissing noise. Since it's hydraulic assisted steering, when you bottom out you hear the relief valve.

When you make a left turn does it require more effort to turn the wheel or is it just more sluggish/less responsive?

Captain obvious says to check your power steering fluid level, but I would suspect that you have some air in your hyd. lines.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Just sticking my tuppence worth in - it may help to define robertregehr's problem.

The noise I get when dry is a 'gutteral' grinding noise and when wet, it almost squeels, as though the belt is slipping. The old belt was worn but obviously wasn't the whole problem.

The noise you describe fixitmattman, is the normal 'groaning' I've always had. Mine doesn't hiss at all and I notice nothing amiss with the steering.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. The burb/fart noise is actually a creak. It happens when the car is hot or cold but louder when cold. It happens when I turn the wheel from left to right. My cars steering wheel is canted a bit to the left(about a 16th of a turn) and the car pulls to the left so I have to turn the wheel to the right just enough to center the steering wheel to keep it straight. I think my rack is shot and I think I'm just going to replace it. Its only $150 US for a reman'd so what the heck. Is NAPA's stuff any good should I go to the dealer(about $50 more for their reman'd rack)? Thanks again

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
If it's pulling to the side, and your wheel is not centered, try an alignment first. They're half to a third of the cost of a new rack, less work, and the most definate likely cause of pulling to one side. Sounds to me like that would be your problem. When was the last time you changed the serpentine belt. If it's an old belt that would cause some creaking as well.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I've checked Haynes and couldn't find instructions on flushing the power steering. Where do you drain the system? What's the fluid capacity? Mine is, for the most part, silent, but I'd like to flush it as a precautionary measure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont think there is a drain and I dont know what the capacity is exacatly, buts its not that much. Maybe 1 to 2 quarts. The only way I know how to flush the system without taking it all apart is to pump out the reservoir with a hand pump(from kragens/autozone/pepboys/whatever you got), disconnect the return hose from the reservoir, put an extension hose on the return hose and put it in a bucket, plug the return bung on the reservoir and fill the reservoir with new fluid. Once that is all done, turn on the car and start turning from left lock to right lock. I did this on my contour and had to refill the reservoir after going to the left before going back to the right from center, to not get air in the system. It seemed to work. :) Oh yeah.... then you gota reconnect the return to the reservoir and refill the reservoir. All in all its not really that bad. I not a pro and had never done it before and it only took about an hour.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.