FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a power steering leak, at the nusiance level (actually I only have to add a small amount of power steering fluid 1-2 times yearly) but it's making a mess, so I'd like to stop it. It seems to be leaking from where this metal pipe enters the rack, and I beleive the Factory Service manual calls it the "Power Steering Left Pressure Hose" and it goes from one place on the rack to another. I doubt I could just buy this hose from any auto parts store separate like that. Maybe the dealer. Anyway, I've tried tightening it, which did not work, so I was wondering if anyone here has taken one of these things apart and knows what's inside. is there a gasket in there somewhere? For all I know maybe it will stop leaking if I just remove it and use some Permatex on the threads, or something. Anyway the place where it is leaking from is circled in red:

If it matters, This leak has been going on for quite some time, possibly even since the car was new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a power steering leak, at the nusiance level (actually I only have to add a small amount of power steering fluid 1-2 times yearly) but it's making a mess, so I'd like to stop it. It seems to be leaking from where this metal pipe enters the rack, and I beleive the Factory Service manual calls it the "Power Steering Left Pressure Hose" and it goes from one place on the rack to another. I doubt I could just buy this hose from any auto parts store separate like that. Maybe the dealer. Anyway, I've tried tightening it, which did not work, so I was wondering if anyone here has taken one of these things apart and knows what's inside. is there a gasket in there somewhere? For all I know maybe it will stop leaking if I just remove it and use some Permatex on the threads, or something. Anyway the place where it is leaking from is circled in red:

If it matters, This leak has been going on for quite some time, possibly even since the car was new.
Hello, I am experiencing a leak at the same location. It seems to be a problem with the end of the metal line in that fitting. The end is distorted and I was wondering if you had any luck with your leak.

·
Registered
15,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The end is distorted and I was wondering if you had any luck with your leak.
I think it was probably the oil pressure sensor leak that was causing that mess. When I did my head gasket I replaced my oil pressure sensor and after that the place remained clean. I don't have the car any more so I can't do a longer term backcheck but for 8 months that whole back of the engine was way cleaner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.